Could Someone Post Me Some Media?

paulnwgb

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently doing my first fishless cycle in my first tank. It's day 19 now, and I am still reading 4ppm ammonia and have been since I added 11ml on the 14th Nov. Is this normal? It's a 260l tank with 220l water, pH is 7.8, temp is 30C.

I tried to get some filter media from my LFS to kickstart the process but I might as well have asked if I had two heads...

Thanks!

It's not completely unheard of, but it is unusual for it to take this long. There isn't alot you can do other than getting hold of some mature media or filter gunk though.

I know the feeling by the way, that look you get when you ask for mature filter media from most shops. Hehe.

Where abouts are you based? Maybe we can find a memeber on here who could donate?

Are you sure you have the right ammonia. just 100% ammonia and water. As ammonia with perfumes and other bits and bob's often won't cycle.

Hi

I am currently doing my first fishless cycle in my first tank. It's day 19 now, and I am still reading 4ppm ammonia and have been since I added 11ml on the 14th Nov. Is this normal? It's a 260l tank with 220l water, pH is 7.8, temp is 30C.

I tried to get some filter media from my LFS to kickstart the process but I might as well have asked if I had two heads...

Thanks!
Yes 19 days does sound a bit long. The h/h ammonia your dosing up with does it only list ammonia and water in its ingredients?
Which test kit are you using?

Thanks guys. I'm in Gloucestershire. The ammonia is the blue bottle one from Boots - just ammonia - nothing else.

I did check the list and the nearest person to me (Cheltenham) hasn't been on in many months :(

I suggest editing the title to include the fact you're in gloucestershire.

Something like 'Can anyone in gloucestershire area donate media', thinking about it the cold weather is quite a good time for people to post media aswell.

Edit: edited to correct location

I suggest editing the title to include the fact you're in cheltenham.

Something like 'Can anyone in gloucestershire area donate media', thinking about it the cold weather is quite a good time for people to post media aswell.
I like your thinking there C101

Thanks - I've done that!

Skins - I am using API Liquid

Welcome to our forum Paul. I live in the US and am unfamiliar with the geography of the UK. Perhaps you can look here and find someone fairly close to you. Meanwhile, I am more than willing to try to send you some mature media for your cycle. The more we help each other the better our fish keeping experience is likely to be.

Thanks OldMan! I just moved back to the UK from several years living in the US!

I did look at the list and no-one is close unfortunately - BUT - for the first time tonight, my ammonia levels are ever so slightly down (from 4.0 to 3.75 maybe...), at first I thought I was just imagining it, so I did a Nitrite test and for the first time, it's not clear 0.0 - it's definitely 0.25! I am hoping things will now pick up - but given that it's taken 22 days to get this far, I guess I am realistically 30-40 days from being cycled? More?

My 6 y/o son is very happy that things are on the way - he has been very patient. It is his tank (allegedly :))

Now... if we could just have fish :)

If I had a mature tank I would be more than willing to post you some media. Unfortunatly I too am cycling.

Hi paulnwgb,

Sounds a bit slow to me, Boots ammonia is perfect, I cycled a small tank in just over a week a month ago, theres a log of another cycle I did in the fish-less cycling forum and since that I've perfected it some more, i got some more filters arriving to do some experiments then i can see exactly how long, and how well the seed material works, but this will take a while, so meanwhile your not far from me I'm on the Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire border, I can give you a bit of filter material from a mature tank and that will get you started.

I know how boring it is!!! ive seen the ammonia drop after 1 day of adding material on the last test I did, so light is at the end of the tunnel!!!! :)

BTW: as far as I've found, our LFS's and fish-less cycling don't go together I even live near one of the best rated LFS's in Europe!! makes no difference, though they can sell you loads of filter start chemicals which is nice....! as with books reference to fish-less cycling is pretty non-existent!

I think you can send emails to me on this forum and I can send you my details ? I'm not sure anyone ?

Hi, What filter do you have? I live in bristol and will be doing deliverys in Quedgeley on wednesday so could meet you somewhere?

All my tanks have been running for 2-3 years and all the fish are disease free :)

Most reactions

Back