Cory's And Mouth Fungus

hoey

Reaction score
recently added some small corys, which were sold to me as julli, they have done well but have noticed that one has very short barbels and what might be
swelling around the mouth, sex unknown but spends a great deal of time swimming mid water whereas others stick to bottom. Am very new to cat fish so don't know what im looking at. the other julli's and the peppers all seem fine.
could it be mouth fungus, or possibly something more seriouse?
Thanks

Tank : 60 litres, fully matured, well aerated, planted, bog wood,ph 7.4. 0 amonia. fine gravel. corys fed: algae wafers, sinking pellets, blood worm and peas. Water changes: 2 a week.
Tank mates: 7 moutain minnows, 3 julli, 2 peppered and one male dwarf gourami.

True fungus is rarer than you'd think in aquaria... I'd be inclined to think it is a bacterial infection caused by the gross conditions of shipping boxes and/or the fish store, combined with the stress of settling in to a new tank.

Is there any white fuzz? Bleeding? Broken skin?

Can you get a picture?

I have seen and dealt with different funguses on other fish, but never on the down ward mouth of the cat fish. The area is white, but not the cottony texture ive seen on other fish. The fish is eating fine and otherwise seems fine. Thought i would isolate and medicate just in case. Is melifix and such products ok for catfish?
thanks

I have seen and dealt with different funguses on other fish, but never on the down ward mouth of the cat fish. The area is white, but not the cottony texture ive seen on other fish. The fish is eating fine and otherwise seems fine. Thought i would isolate and medicate just in case. Is melifix and such products ok for catfish?
thanks

Honestly, not sure. But if you post a picture in the emergency section you should get some good ideas. Wilder is a really good diagnostician lol.

Most reactions

Back