Corydoras - Is My Substrate Okay?

-FighterFishh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I really like Corydoras, and they would work well with what I'd like to put in my tank, but would my substrate be okay for them?
Here's a photo [taken before I planted up so you can see it!]

ri4z0o.png

What do you think?
Thank you! :)

your substrate looks like gravel and they prefer sand

they will do fine if its not that sharp of a gravel as sharp gravel can damage thier barbells :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Yes, it's fine. They prefer to dig in sand but they don't self-destruct if you use gravel.

your substrate looks like gravel and they prefer sand

they will do fine if its not that sharp of a gravel as sharp gravel can damage thier barbells :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

That's what I was worried about. It doesn't seem sharp at all, so I think they should be okay if I did get some. I was just looking at pics of them and I saw that actually a lot of people put them on gravel. :)

Yes, it's fine. They prefer to dig in sand but they don't self-destruct if you use gravel.

Ahh. It's only small pieces of gravel, and they aren't sharp either, so I'm sure they won't be unhappy if I do decide to get some! :lol:

Although your substrate is fine. I really think you miss out on something keeping cories on gravel. I have kept cories on both and cories aren't really corys unless there on sand, if that makes any sense. Could i Tempt you to put a small saucer or tub with a bit of sand in it for them :crazy:

Although your substrate is fine. I really think you miss out on something keeping cories on gravel. I have kept cories on both and cories aren't really corys unless there on sand, if that makes any sense. Could i Tempt you to put a small saucer or tub with a bit of sand in it for them :crazy:

This is interesting- can you tell me how they act differently on sand? I'm just really curious because I plan to have panda corys, and I would certainly add a little sandy area if it'll make things happier for them. I already have fish in the tank that had been through a ton of changes lately, so I don't want to change the gravel out fully right now.

This is interesting- can you tell me how they act differently on sand? I'm just really curious because I plan to have panda corys, and I would certainly add a little sandy area if it'll make things happier for them. I already have fish in the tank that had been through a ton of changes lately, so I don't want to change the gravel out fully right now.

Yeah. I think they just root around a bit more.
I could try and put a container in with some sand in. I did originally want sand but the sales woman at the shop talked me out of it. :lol:

I originally had gravel like yours,but found my tri corys barbels did wear down,so i changed to sand.

Corys love to dig around,hence the sand,they also sift sand through their gills,hunting out morsels that have been missed,which obviously they can't do with gravel.

The downside of gravel is that bacteria can build up between the stones,and whilst digging around the corys may pick up a bacterial infection through their barbels...

I originally had gravel like yours,but found my tri corys barbels did wear down,so i changed to sand.

Corys love to dig around,hence the sand,they also sift sand through their gills,hunting out morsels that have been missed,which obviously they can't do with gravel.

The downside of gravel is that bacteria can build up between the stones,and whilst digging around the corys may pick up a bacterial infection through their barbels...

Ohh, okay. I'll just have to clean the gravel when I notice it getting dirty.
I've put some more smaller, smoother gravel on top which I think they'd be able to mooch around in easier than my other gravel (which is now underneath!), so I'm hoping that they'd like that.

Your cories will be fine as long as the substrate is not sharp. Cories use their barbels when searching the substrate for food. As long as the substrate does not injure them while they are doing that, they will be fine. If you have sand or gravel that has been made the right size by breaking larger particles, there will be sharp edges that can harm your cories. If the sand or gravel is smooth and rounded, they will prosper. In the wild, cories live over a mud bottom. We do not attempt to reproduce that in our tanks so the closest thing we can offer is rounded sands.

Being 'earth-eaters' you can see them eating a mouthful of sand and sifting through it for anything edible, with the sand pouring out the bottom of their gills. Same with Bolivian Rams (and other earth eaters!). They also end up growing lovely long barbels. :good: Good Luck

Your cories will be fine as long as the substrate is not sharp. Cories use their barbels when searching the substrate for food. As long as the substrate does not injure them while they are doing that, they will be fine. If you have sand or gravel that has been made the right size by breaking larger particles, there will be sharp edges that can harm your cories. If the sand or gravel is smooth and rounded, they will prosper. In the wild, cories live over a mud bottom. We do not attempt to reproduce that in our tanks so the closest thing we can offer is rounded sands.

It isn't sharp. The new stuff I've put in is small rounded gravel. It's also more white than my old gravel so it looks much cleaner! :lol:
I'll have to get a pic of it in a minute!

E- Here's the pic
dz6u6o.jpg

Most reactions

Back