Corydora Eyes Eaten.. Still Alive...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've recently introduced 2 corydoras into my tank, I came today to find one of them had one of its eyes eaten out... a few hours later, the second eye is gone too but... IT'S STILL ALIVE!!

What do I do? :| Do I leave it in there or flush him :( poor lil thing! 

I have a feeling it was my BGK even though he's not that large and he has not been predatory to my other fish at all, it's strange :| 

Sophie said:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5621&utm_source=PFK_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=April_26_2013&utm_term=Painful_fish_deaths?_You_might_be_guilty%E2%80%A6&utm_content=html

I've seen this happen at a LFS in a tank full of Oscars. I guess morally it's all up to you, but it doesn't seem much of a quality of life. Have a little read of the above, do not flush him
tongue2.gif
!!
I cant do this LOL, gahhhh!! I'm assume the clove oil is the best thing... have you done this before? :( 

I wouldn't kill it. Corys rely on their barbels to find food so it might as well be ok once it's used to surroundings and you don't redecorate often. But I'd just think of rehoming those corys if you have other fish that can attack and do such damage. Corys aren't suitable in predatory tanks as they don't respect boundaries and get hurt.

snazy said:
I wouldn't kill it. Corys rely on their barbels to find food so it might as well be ok once it's used to surroundings and you don't redecorate often. But I'd just think of rehoming those corys if you have other fish that can attack and do such damage. Corys aren't suitable in predatory tanks as they don't respect boundaries and get hurt.

Well it appears I may get rid of my BGK eventually :( so strange though he's never done that before 

Assuming it's the Rio 300 in your signature, then the only candidate really is the BGK.

When you say "eventually", how far away is that? As Snazy says, they can survive for a while being blind, but the chances are the BGK may attack again.

JasonMichael said:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5621&utm_source=PFK_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=April_26_2013&utm_term=Painful_fish_deaths?_You_might_be_guilty%E2%80%A6&utm_content=html

I've seen this happen at a LFS in a tank full of Oscars. I guess morally it's all up to you, but it doesn't seem much of a quality of life. Have a little read of the above, do not flush him
tongue2.gif
!!
I cant do this LOL, gahhhh!! I'm assume the clove oil is the best thing... have you done this before?
sad.png

I have to use the AquaSed at work - company policies.
I couldn't do it at first but, sometimes when you see them in such a poor state, you have to think what's best for them.

As said above though, they can use the barbels to find food.
I wouldn't enjoy being blind though, but hey, I'm not a fish.

You are correct in thinking its the bkg. This is something they are known to do. They hunt at night and use their weak electrical sense to find prey. There are known to go for eyes.

All your fish did was to grow into his expected behavioral pattern. This episode should also serve as a learning experience for all reading about it. Aggressive type fish grow up to be aggressive fish even if they seem nice when small. It is not realistic to believe that a fish will not behave "normally" just because they are in our tank and we have not seen them do so yet. Even the most mellow cichlid turns into a ruthless killer when in spawning mode. It is their nature. We can not alter the basic nature of most animals.

the_lock_man said:
Assuming it's the Rio 300 in your signature, then the only candidate really is the BGK.

When you say "eventually", how far away is that? As Snazy says, they can survive for a while being blind, but the chances are the BGK may attack again.

Yep thats the stocking in my signature, and I spoke to one of the guys at my LFS and he said I wouldn't need to worry about the BGK anytime soon and it would be a future problem. I do really love that fish though, I'm in 2 minds weather to keep him or give him back
sad.png
he's grown so well in the tank over the past year and a bit. 

TwoTankAmin said:
You are correct in thinking its the bkg. This is something they are known to do. They hunt at night and use their weak electrical sense to find prey. There are known to go for eyes.

All your fish did was to grow into his expected behavioral pattern. This episode should also serve as a learning experience for all reading about it. Aggressive type fish grow up to be aggressive fish even if they seem nice when small. It is not realistic to believe that a fish will not behave "normally" just because they are in our tank and we have not seen them do so yet. Even the most mellow cichlid turns into a ruthless killer when in spawning mode. It is their nature. We can not alter the basic nature of most animals.
This makes sense, totally get where your coming from. We would all hope that our fish in our tank are different haha 

Sophie said:

tongue2.gif
!!
I cant do this LOL, gahhhh!! I'm assume the clove oil is the best thing... have you done this before?
sad.png

I couldn't do it at first but, sometimes when you see them in such a poor state, you have to think what's best for them.

Yeah I get what you mean
sad.png
I'll head to my LFS tomorrow and get some, I just put the fish in a bowl with some of that liquid I assume? 

I might leave him for a few days and see how he goes, but I feel so bad for this poor lil guy!
noexpression.gif
I think this would have to be one of the worst things about fish keeping, how does one make these decisions! 

TwoTankAmin said:

I would've thought the Corydoras would be quite quick to escape a fumbling BGK. Apparently more skilled than one anticipated..

Sophie said:

tongue2.gif
!!
sad.png

Yeah I get what you mean
sad.png
I'll head to my LFS tomorrow and get some, I just put the fish in a bowl with some of that liquid I assume? 

I might leave him for a few days and see how he goes, but I feel so bad for this poor lil guy!
noexpression.gif
I think this would have to be one of the worst things about fish keeping, how does one make these decisions!  

Follow the instructions on the bottle - it might be harder to pick up than you think, I don't see AquaSed in many LFS at all.

I felt so bad for the Oscar I saw in the store, every time he bumped into something he panicked and went nuts, could see right through his head.. Morbid eh.

Sophie said:

I would've thought the Corydoras would be quite quick to escape a fumbling BGK. Apparently more skilled than one anticipated..

Sophie said:

tongue2.gif
!!
sad.png

Yeah I get what you mean
sad.png

noexpression.gif

Follow the instructions on the bottle - it might be harder to pick up than you think, I don't see AquaSed in many LFS at all.

I felt so bad for the Oscar I saw in the store, every time he bumped into something he panicked and went nuts, could see right through his head.. Morbid eh.

Omg, thats terrible, poor fish :( we only want to help! It's one of those things I guess.. 

Most reactions

Back