Cory Prices Going Through The Roof......

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
ive been on a bit of a mission today collecting plants from truckasaurus and visiting 2 fish shops in the derby/notts area. the first was maidenhead at Trowell as i had checked on fish finder and they have gold striped corys in stock, so i thought i would add 2 or 3 to my group. i bought some of my adults from maidenhead in Stapleton for £9 each and they were a decent size but when i found them at Trowell they were tiny and priced up at £22 each :crazy: i also noticed they had black shultzei in stock too but again very small and £20 each :crazy: i would have thought that every maidenhead would have standard pricing instead of individual.... other fish that caught my eye for silly prices were red spotted sev about 2 inch max £20 these are £7 at the maidenhead close to me, large angels £18, very small discus £30 and so on.
the second shop was Wharf aquatics in Pinxton which was very impressive but i didnt see many corys in stock. i had a good chat with the owner and he sold me a lovely yellow pigeon blood discus for £20 :good: this was twice the size of the ones in maidenhead at £30..... i would reccommend a trip to Wharf aquatics as they have great looking healthy fish and each tank is individually filtered so no diseases get spread from tank to tank also the staff seemed to really know their stuff and were giving good advice to customers which was nice to see and hear!

i just couldnt believe the prices of the corys at Trowell so thought i would share it with you guys.

most of my corys have now been sold too, i have 3 or 4 left from the first batch that were the smallest of the group so i will grow these up a bit more before selling :good:

Did you see how much they want for Venezuelan Black cories? £55 each IIRC and drewry on here sells them for about £5 each, how did wharfs prices compare to that of trowells? I've not been for a while.

Ive bought nearly all my equipment from there and plants its a really good shop very big selection of fish and reptiles.

Did you see how much they want for Venezuelan Black cories? £55 each IIRC and drewry on here sells them for about £5 each, how did wharfs prices compare to that of trowells? I've not been for a while.
Wharfs prices didnt seem bad at all really, i wouldnt say they were expensive or cheap. i was specifically looking for discus though so didnt look too hard at others. great healthy fish and none that were flicking or even dead which is nice to see. they had a great selection of fish too some which i have never seen before :good:

I was saying about the prices not long ago!

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/311538-they-really-can-charge-what-they-like/page__p__2580955__fromsearch__1&#entry2580955

Down here the prices vary dramatically between the stores (especially Maidenheads) it depends what is popular at the time, unfortunately cories are "in" at the mo so the prices have risen

i went into maidenhead in worthing and chichester today and coys have got very expensive now.
the rainbows have also gone up from a few weeks ago

I just bought my first two cories, a pair of Sterbai's and the cheapest I've seen them, here in the USA is $9.00 ($8.99 plus tax :X) So they're pretty expensive down here too. One pair of Sterbai's for about $19! It's crazy, even if they aren't very common.

Maidenhead do tend to be expensive,especially with cories,some of the prices are over the top,especially when you can get cories for a third of the price at small lfs!

i just couldnt believe the prices of the gold stripes, as i said i paid £9 each and they were almost adults from maidenhead near Leicester. these on offer at maidenhead were half the size and £22 each......... :crazy: no wonder they had them in stock at these prices :lol:

Most reactions

Back