tank size: 10 gallons
pH: I don't know
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 0 and 5
gH: I don't know
kH: I don't know
tank temp: 78 F
fish symptoms: My cory lost his little whiskers on his face. Where they used to be is now a red spot, that makes me think he's bleeding a little bit. He also seems to be acting a little more scared than usual, but that could just be my imagination. The betta had a torn fin previously, and at I noticed he tore it again this morning. He now has two rips in his fin. Where they fighting one another?
volume and frequency of water changes: The volume is ten gallons. I change the water about once a week.
chemical additives or media in tank: none
tank inhabitants: 4 cory cats, one betta
recent additions: The corys are kind of new. I got them on the 27th of November.
exposure to chemicals: They've been exposed to water
Sorry, I don't have a picture.
Any ideas are welcome. If it turns out that the betta is fighting with my corys, I can put them in the family tank, but there is so much cover in there that if I put them in and then decide I want them back I won't be able to get them out. I can isolate the cory in a breeder basket if need be. Also, will my cory be able to eat normally?

The usual cause of barbel loss in corydoras is either a dirty substrate, or one that is too rough.

Really sand is the best substrate for cories (I would never keep them on anything but sand, personally). They can be kept on a fine, rounded gravel; but it must be kept very, very clean.

Flutter nailed it. The loss of 'barbels' happens as a result of bacterial infections due to their feeding style. If the substrate is too dirty and/or too rough it can cause problems. They will shove their face into the substrate to go after food that falls between the rocks, if the rocks are the wrong size they will continue to shove their face into it injuring themselves, and leaving them vulnerable to disease.

One sand alternative I've had success with is 'ceramaquartz'. I got the very fine stuff, which is basically sand he coated for color. Completely inert and far cleaner than any sand I've ever had (EVER). Not very pricey either, just tougher to locate. Contacted the manufacturer to locate a local distributor- had to drive 45 minutes away, but got 2 50 lb bags for under $45 total.

That makes sense, my substrate is kind of rough. I will look into getting something better. Thank you very much for your help.

just to add - you asked if he'll be able to eat. He may well struggle now as I've found that cories use their barbels to seek out food - my lot hover over the food twitching their barbels - and so if he's not able to do that he may struggle to find food. You don't mention what you are feeding the cories but I've found a soft pellet food is best for them. I use New Era (recently changed name to Vitalis) catfish pellets - the tub has a picture of cory on the front. Not sure if they are available in the U.S though as they are a U.K based company.

I'm agreeing that you need to change the substrate as soon as possible. Cories need to be on sand. It's not just their barbels that will suffer on rough substrate, they will also be susceptable to body sores on their undersides

So if the cories lose their barbels, there's no chance of them growing back?

TheTank said:
So if the cories lose their barbels, there's no chance of them growing back?

They can sometimes grow back, especially if they're just shortened, but if they're completely gone they usually don't.

He is still young, if that will effect weather his barbels will grow back or not.

The product name of the food is Algae Wafers, and the brand name is Hikari Tropical. I always put the wafers in the same spot in the tank, that might help him to find the food.

I am looking into getting better substrate. Does anyone know if sand works on an undergravel filter?

On the barbels regenerating, I agree with fluttermoth generally; I say generally because I have had barbels regenerate on some corys and not others but I do not know if the loss was complete or partial to start with.  But whatever, maybe yes or maybe no.

Second on the barbels, the corys will feed fine without them.  I have had corys for several years that lost barbels, even part of the mouth on one, and they are right out there with the others to nibble sinking food tabs/pellets/disks.

On the food issue, I would add a couple more types of sinking foods.  An algae-based food is fine, first because the plant matter is good for the intenstines of all fish, and second because most of these do contain some "meat" anyway.  But I would consider one or two others, such as shrimp pellets (Omega One make a good product, there are others) and something like the Nutrafin tablets.  Alternate the foods, use the shrimp on day 1, the tabs on day 2, the algae on day 3, then repeat, something like this.

To your substrate question, no, sand will not work with an undergravel filter as the sand will get through the openings in the plate and then there is no "filter" as such.  I used undergravel filters exclusively, but I have moved away from them over the years.  For a 10g tank, I would use a single sponge filter, like the Hagen Elite.  It takes up very little space, and is a very good mechanical and biological filter.  I have this in my 10g, and I use the dual Elite (2 sponges) in my 20g and 29g tanks.

I heartily endorse changing to sand with corys; I did this a number of years ago, and it has definitely made a difference.  Their upending themselves to poke into the sand and then sift it out through their gills is part of their natural behaviour.

Byron.

Byron said:

Second on the barbels, the corys will feed fine without them.  I have had corys for several years that lost barbels, even part of the mouth on one, and they are right out there with the others to nibble sinking food tabs/pellets/disks.

This is good to know as I always understood that they used their barbels to find food. So many misconceptions out there

Regarding food, I would agree with what the others have said but I just wanted to add that they like to have some meat and so I always allow some blood worms or artemia to fall to the substrate for my cories. If they are fast and I can keep my angels occupied long enough they usually get to eat some :)

Akasha72 said:

This is good to know as I always understood that they used their barbels to find food. So many misconceptions out there

Regarding food, I would agree with what the others have said but I just wanted to add that they like to have some meat and so I always allow some blood worms or artemia to fall to the substrate for my cories. If they are fast and I can keep my angels occupied long enough they usually get to eat some
smile.png

Yes, the barbels are sensory perceptors that locate food, especially when the fish upends itself to poke down into the mud or sand (natural habitats of corys are either mud or sand or a mix, sometimes with a layer of leaves).  But I have observed that the fish as a group will appear when food is added, and it seems logical that the corys will "follow the leader" and have no issues.  Mine that lost their barbels over that plant substrate have certainly had no trouble feeding during the four years since.  I always tap lightly on the tank frame when food is about to go in, and within seconds the corys are all out charging around.

The first ingredient on the algae wafers is fish meal, and my catfish do get the occasional betta pellet that the betta doesn't eat, so I think that my catfish do get protein. Thanks for your help everybody.

I just took out the old substrate and replaced it with sand. Because sand won't work with an undergravel filter, I replaced it with a filter that hangs onto the back. I understand that I've really disturbed the nitrogen cycle, so I have some media from another tank at the bottom to replenish the bacteria.

test your water daily and be ready to do large water changes if you see any ammonia or nitrite :)

Most reactions

Back