Cory habrosus died today; some others seem listless or swim/lie oddly.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So far, I'm holding off. After the deep clean, all but one are resting mostly right-side-up, and another's gotten noticeably perkier. I didn't add anything but Prime to today's water change; no alkaline buffer. As long as parameters aren't moving too fast, and stay within a range safe for the inverts, I'll see how that goes.

Agreed on kanamycin. It did what it needed to when I had to use it, but I don't want to burden any healthy animals with it. Triple Sulfa's the mildest medication I know of; something that's even safe for my frogs (talk about susceptible to chemicals!)

Sorry to hear Josh. For what it is worth I decided to quit keeping Dwarfs after I lost two batches after each other. Other members on several forum occured to have the same issues. I never knew what caused it exactly, but my uncle working at the watercompany tild me they flushed the watersupply with extra chloramine cause of a leak earlier (normally we don't have chloramine in our tapwater so I don't use conditioners). Btw notice tiny pinpoint red spots behind the gills when they died !
Personally I think yours look a kind of thin and I am not a fan of the substrate (searching for food and pollutionwise) but if that's culprit to these losses I am not sure of. They are my favourite Corys but not keeping them anymore.

Pollution is definitely my bigger worry with the substrate. If the males are thin (the females certainly aren't!), that'd be the culprit. Most of their food goes in the sand dish, and they definitely know to go there to eat!

If Colin T has anymore to say about what I can do, I'm listening.

Beyond that, though, I'm *done* with this forum. The ratio of criticism to practical advice here is absurd. Of all the people who pointed out what's wrong with my substrate, only *one* told me what I can quickly and practically do about it. Of all the rest, only Byron's warning about the potential risks of mold (with, I might note, no instructions on how to remove it, so that I had to puzzle out the deep clean myself), and maaayyybbbeee - after the upbraiding about it - the advice to stop using alkaline buffer was useful.

Y'all need to ask yourselves whether you're giving emergency know-how in the emergency section, or just complaining to inexperienced people that they're inexperienced. Even the famously judgy ADF groups are far more understanding and helpful.

These 3 pages of posts could have been boiled down to "Get rid of those fungal patches, and it would be good to switch gravel to sand; here's how to do it without breaking down the whole tank: [Instructions]; you could also try letting the pH/kH fall, if it's safe for your inverts" and been just as useful for helping my fish, minus all the lectures. If they had actually included instructions for getting rid of any fungus, *more useful*, and still without lectures.

Last edited:
This last post (#34 in case another should appear while I'm typing) bothers me a lot. I do not know how you @JoshOfMichigan could say what you've said. I did not "criticize" and I don't see that anyone else did. We pointed out serious (most of them) issues that can weaken fish, allowing the fish to succumb to other problems like disease that it might otherwise be able to manage. Everything in the aquarium is interconnected.

I have the impression that you do not understand fish physiology, and this is common with most all of us when we begin in this hobby. Even after several years, many still have no idea how a fish "lives," and this is crucial to fully realizing the impact of something as simple as the choice of substrate, or the use of additives, or whatever. The relationship between a fish and its aquatic environment is far greater than that of any terrestrial animal.

This forum is valuable primarily because it has a number of knowledgeable members who are able to identify issues they see and then will take the time to provide details. The side issues are part of the problem, and thus have to be considered in the solution, regardless of the specific problem asked about. I am sure many others have like me lost fish along the way because we failed to understand all of this.

Is there a chance the fungus could be biofilm?

I'm just wondering because I get a white film on my wood and leaves but the snails keep it in check.

On this forum if there is going to be an argument it will be about Corydoras. We have some members that are very opinionated about how they should be kept. My five cents worth, get your nitrates down to as near zero as possible and don't worry about the other stuff. More plant less food.

@JoshOfMichigan

Sadly where fishkeeping is concerned, there are no "quick fixes"....nothing happens overnight apart from things going downhill without warning...as you have discovered with your Cories.

Many people who enter the world of fishkeeping naturally assume that it is easy peasy. It isn't...at all.

Getting the water chemistry right, getting the aquarium set up right, getting the most appropriate substrate/plants/rocks/hides....it is mindblowing and the list seems endless and often confusing

Whether a newby at it or an old timer you can be a fishkeeper for months or years without a sniff of a problem...then overnight you get that wake up call that throws everything that you thought you knew straight into the dustbin.

We have all been there....even if a few try to deny it.....we have all suffered your frustrations and frantic searching for answers...and yes, those "quick fixes"

Something about keeping these awesome creatures gives you is an infinite sense of patience.....a saint will run out of patience long before a fishkeeper after a few years of pulling hair out, going grey and fostering a multitude of wrinkles

I understand your frustration...we ALL do....but please don't take out that frustration on those who are trying to help and guide you towards finding the elusive answer to the why, what and where about what happened to your fish.

Finding the cause of a fish death isn't easy. Usually its a combination of many things...a jigsaw....and that last piece is always a bugger to find though a process of elimination...and that will never happen overnight nor will it ever be a "quick fix". It is very hard for anyone online to know exactly what the issue is without explicit description and often boring and, to you, meaningless questions and images. We can only advise on things from what you show and tell us, we aren't standing beside your aquarium, we can't physically see what is going on or how things are within your aquarium

So please try not to get angry over questions that are asked cos we are only trying to fathom out what the issues might be from many many miles, often thousands of miles away.

If Colin T has anymore to say about what I can do, I'm listening.

Beyond that, though, I'm *done* with this forum. The ratio of criticism to practical advice here is absurd. Of all the people who pointed out what's wrong with my substrate, only *one* told me what I can quickly and practically do about it. Of all the rest, only Byron's warning about the potential risks of mold (with, I might note, no instructions on how to remove it, so that I had to puzzle out the deep clean myself), and maaayyybbbeee - after the upbraiding about it - the advice to stop using alkaline buffer was useful.

Y'all need to ask yourselves whether you're giving emergency know-how in the emergency section, or just complaining to inexperienced people that they're inexperienced. Even the famously judgy ADF groups are far more understanding and helpful.

These 3 pages of posts could have been boiled down to "Get rid of those fungal patches, and it would be good to switch gravel to sand; here's how to do it without breaking down the whole tank: [Instructions]; you could also try letting the pH/kH fall, if it's safe for your inverts" and been just as useful for helping my fish, minus all the lectures. If they had actually included instructions for getting rid of any fungus, *more useful*, and still without lectures.
Sorry if my post has given you a bad feeling Josh. It wasn't definitely not meand to be.

I only wanted to share my experiences with C.habrosus over the years in a search to find the issue why I seem not be able to keep them. I amd others try to do that by excluding possible causes. I think that's the way how we often come to a conclusion. I have asked myself this for years cause C.habrosus is a great fish.

Some people "throw in a couple" and they thrive / breed happily etc etc...... but some don't. Over the years several members had a die off specific of C.habrosus. Often C.habrosus is mentioned as "nanofish" but I think it isn't for that reason.

To me I and no one in fact is critizing you or your fishkeeping. We're all searching / excluding those possible cause(s).
If questions asked / remarks made / possible causes given feel like critizing I am sorry but I think it is the way its done on any forum .
Especially in C.habrosus that is very difficult to find I never did so far which is a shame and a reason I decided to give them up.

Greetings Aad

@DoubleDutch - wasn't you. At all. You just came in right as I'd gotten fed up with the whole thing. It was a buildup of people ignoring the question at hand and lecturing me that I should be doing things I literally *can't* do in the short term.

The problem is that I posted in *emergency issues* to know what I could do in an *emergency* to get them back to health, so I could safely make long-term improvements. Major changes while the fish are sick, that don't directly address sickness, just add stress. And the arrogance of people *refusing* to answer my very specific, clear questions in favor of talking about those major changes (but not necessarily explaining *how* to safely make them, I might add!), after I'd said that I had pondered them, and was operating under constraints, is infuriating.

If, like you, they explicitly said they didn't know and commisserated, or if they kept investigating like @wasmewasntit is so kindly interpreting folks as having been doing, that would've been fine. But there was a lot of "you're doing it wrong" to which I could only really respond, "Yeah, I know, working on it. But what can I do *now* to buy time?" And that got more, "You're doing it wrong." I stayed patient with folks as long as I could, but the condescension eventually rubbed raw.

If I weren't in any other fora, I might've just accepted it as normal, like people here keep saying - but I've seen in the ADF fora how experienced folks can be very helpful without being at all arrogant or condescending. They'll tell you their general recommendations, but they'll also tell you what can help even if you don't follow those. And those fora are supposedly among the most intense and opinionated.

@wasmewasntit It's not that people were bombarding me with detailed questions about things that hadn't occurred to me - I would've expected and welcomed that. I described parameters and conditions, took photos, and would've uploaded videos if the site had allowed it, no complaints. BUT: that wasn't met with further investigation, rather impossible demands.

FWIW, the cories are now in the sand-bottomed hospital tank, but the pH is still significantly more basic than I'd like (around 7.8-8.1, *higher* than in the main tank). Will add a couple more catappa leaves to slowly acidify tomorrow. After the haranguing I got here, I gambled that the sand, the slight cooling (76°F), and isolating them from the larger animals would reduce more stress than the pH increase and chasing/catching/acclimating them would add.

If that turns out to be wrong, their deaths are on this forum. I would've been far more conservative in making changes, otherwise. As it stands, I don't know what more I could have done to follow the - for all intents and purposes - *commands* I got here, seeing as I don't have the money or the magic to recreate the Río Salinas overnight. I've spent a week trying to acidify the hospital tank without serious chemicals - speaking of the "how-to" advice I could've used!

I was literally told both "the tank should be much more acidic" and "don't use chemicals to change the pH", with no explanation given of how to square that circle - especially given that I already use catappa leaves, as can be seen in the photos. Apparently some folks here are blessed with municipal taps that deliver hot and cold running gastric juice. But somehow *my frustration* is the distressing thing! Oh, and my nitrates should somehow both take care of themselves, with hardly any need for water changes, *and* always stay very near zero ::eye roll:: Let's count the double binds, shall we? Was I supposed to ask Santa for a ten-year-old biotope tank and then expect him to actually show up with one - in November, at that?

All that said, IF - and *only* if - by some miracle they suddenly perk up, I'll happily grovel for forgiveness for my temper and folly, or whatever else these folks with impossible expectations want. The fish are the point, here, after all.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back