Cories Are Piosonus?

can i just say this sounds like utter bull but i maybe wrong.

and aquarium wiki is written by people from all over the net so there could be 50 people contributing to 1 artcicle, im sure inchworm will be along to clear this up

whenever i put my hands in the tank the cories swarm around my hand, and i have never been stung, i think this a is a false statement

[URL="http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Corydoras_julii"]http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Corydoras_julii[/URL]

According to wikopedia they can sting humans and release toxins whicj could wipe out a tank of fish.

Is this true at all does anyone know?

odd as it seems this may well be true. the spines do exist on some cories. and i have read accounts from wholesalers, of just such a thing. it seems likely that some cories can produce so much toxin, they can poison themselves.
Sterbai, Arcuatus, Adolfoi, Haroldschwartzi, Burgessi and possibly Robustus, are some of the offending cats! their "sting"? is said to be like that of a bee, but can last for several days(so i am told)

well my sterbai's come and swim around my hand and ive never had a sting.

i had a farming uncle who kept bees he rarely, if ever, got stung. as far as i can find, its a defensive action, and never used in attack. so its unlikely your cories would sting you, unless they felt threatend, say if you tried to pick one up.

Hi,

There was an article in PFK, October I think, about the toxin release.

If I remember correctly it was saying that when stressed they can release a toxin from a gland below the gill. It was discovered after looking into the fact that quite often, when buying Cories from the LSF, you would find a dead one once you got home. The toxins released when in such a small 'bagged' environment meant they poisoned themselves.
It may be a natural reaction to the presence of a predator (stressed). This has gone un-noticed in the aquarium or their natural habitat where the toxins would soon disperse.

It didn't mention anything about stinging though.

Regards

Dave.

Edit: There was a picture in the article which captured the Toxin release.

it states in the artcicle that the sting is in the barbels, i will watch this thread with great interest. :shifty:

from what i read, that is not quite right. its the spines on some fins that do the damage, the toxin the the fish release, simply, enters through the wound. as such it is not, really a sting, in the common sense of the word. sorry i should have pointed that out :blush:

This toxin can be a problem when transporting them. one wholesaler said they used the "kick the bucket" method. after being caught, the corie give off this toxin. so the seller, just kicked the bucket several times. then changed the water. it seems it takes them time to make more. this, apparently makes it safer to transport them.

so you get pricked by them and then the toxins enter from the water through the cut

Most reactions

Back