Corals And Clams

murphyk32

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, so i am in the very first stage of starting a nano, so this is mostly just curiousity as i know the tank has to be set up for a while (6-12 months i believe?) befoer adding saltwater clams (the colorful kind, not the food like ones).. its a 20g long tank that i will be using, what are some species of small saltwater clams that i could fit in that size of tank? max amount suggested? any other information i should know? i will be researching everything plenty of time in advance..

Thanks

Murphy

They need good song lighting, clean water and the little ones are harder to keep than big ones, Also clams are really slow growing

thanks for the info, know of any species of smaller ones suitable for a 20gallon?

I have just put a Derasa Clam in my tank, as for size i think that 60cm is possible but i have never seen one. Largest i have seen is around 30cm but they are filter feeders when small and require a large tank with very strong lighting, Larger specimens are quite hardy but experience is needed for the smaller ones as they need a constant calcium level and Phytoplankton feeding regually.
If everything is catered for then they will grow at a good speed slowing down after they reach 7". I am know expert though this is just bits i have picked up over the years, there will be someone on here that knows more and could probally advise if there are any smaller types available.

thanks for the info, anybody else with any other information?

Well, Clams are some of the more difficult animals to keep in a home aquarium depending on the clam's method of energy input. Clams are either Photosynthetically nourished (a lot like plants), or they are filter feeders and eat things like phytoplankton or dead matter floating in the water. The later type (filter feeders) are EXTREMELY difficult to keep in small tank environments below say 100gallons. There just isn't enough "stuff" in the water for them to eat. Common filterfeeding clams available for sale in the hobby would be electric scallops.

The photosynthetic clams belong primarily to the Tridacnid genus and include T. derasa, T. crocea, T. maxima, and T. squamosa. They require a LOT of light as they are shallow water species in the wild, used to getting lots of light. Mercifully, a 20gal tank is pretty shallow so you have options in the lighting front, but you'd need at least 4 individually reflected T5 tubes, or a halide for sure to really keep one alive well. Maximas and Squamosas get way too big for a small tank like that. They can easily grow to a shell size of way over one foot. Derasas and Croceas stay significantly smaller, most in the 4-6" size.

Lastly remember that clams are a calcifying organism who will deplete levels of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium from your water frequently to grow their shells. So to keep one longterm you will have to learn about that part of seawater chemistry and either perfom large frequent water tests, or dose those with additives to keep the levels high enough.

HTH

ahh thankyou that was very helpful, so basically il prolly have to get these online anyways, for some reason, despite the fact im in a city, there is extremely limited selections of lfs's and the ones that are around dont specialize in saltwater atall, well actually they have nothing.. but that wont be for a long time anyways, i was just curious and making sure i was able to keep them. So, generally what are some other good corals in a 20g?

Heh, well Nova Scotia is definitely out there :)

Some good starter corals are mushrooms, leathers, zoanthids, most softies. If you want to get into hard corals, hammers and frogspawns are by far the easiest starters

aha yea nova scotia is out here, its nice tho imo.. But, i live in Halifax, so i mean its not a bad sized city (nothing like Buffalo mind you:p) and I just am surprised that there is pretty well nothing for fishkeeping, specially salt water, local or chain. Il take a look into those, thanks, I have researched a bit but whats the difference soft/hard?

Soft corals are generally more tolerant of aquarist's "mistakes" and are more relatively available.

Most reactions

Back