Coral Sand

monkeyman

Moved On
Reaction score
I was jus wondering what depth of coral sand i should use for my new tank. It is a juwel rekord 80. just short of 3ft long and not vey tall. From what i gather this should be a fair size tank for my yellow labs. Im putting in Argonite coral sand, please tell me this is half decent stuff! :/

Hi monkeyman, I would stay 1" or under. Any more and you can create an environment in your substrate for anaerobic bacteria to thrive in. The sand can pile up in a corner. This will cause you all kinds of problems.

Hi monkeyman, I would stay 1" or under. Any more and you can create an environment in your substrate for anaerobic bacteria to thrive in. The sand can pile up in a corner. This will cause you all kinds of problems.
1" sh1t. I think i have arond 2" in now. no one was here to help when i was fillling my tank :-( Should i take some out? Heard about this trapped bacteria in the sand, but most people think it just applies in theory. but hey! What do i know? After all, i do have the word NEWBIE after my name! :lol:

sand or gravel is only for cosmetic purpose if you won't be planting it....in terms of substrate for african cichlids it won't matter if you have 1" or 4" of gravel or sand as long as you vacuum and do your water changes frequently...not everyday, but atleast once or twice a week....And if your planning on pilling it with rocks make sure to burry the bottom rocks so it wont be dug easily and causing your rockscape to collapse....

sand or gravel is only for cosmetic purpose if you won't be planting it....in terms of substrate for african cichlids it won't matter if you have 1" or 4" of gravel or sand
I guess you haven't herd of anaerobic bacteria growing in your sand substrate :look: Anaerobic bacteria will thrive in an environment that is void of oxygen. A condition that is made when your sand substrate is thick enough that water and oxygen no longer flows through it. A condition such as a sand being 4" thick.

The anaerobic bacteria is not lethal to fish. However, the byproduct of anaerobic bacteria is hydrogen sulfide and methane. Hydrogen sulfide is that rotten sulfur smell. It is toxic to your fish :-( Vacuuming the sand will stir up the hydrogen sulfide into your water. And it doesn't take too long for the anaerobic bacteria to start growing in deep sand.

Most reactions

Back