Convicts or Firemouths?

Chad08

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Should I get a pair of convicts or firemouths for my 29 gallon tank? Do cons and firemouths both like sand...I was thinks about removing the rocks and puting sand in it. Let me know what you guys think. BTW the tank is empty

Whatever you like the look of better. That's a nice tank size for either of those species.

i like a nice pair of marbled cons over any firemouths. i also prefer rocks. whatever makes you happy ;)

Is it harder to clean sand than rocks. I use a python. And I was thinking the sand would be sucked up the tube when I stir it up. Anybody with experience with this? Need advice please. Thanks again

yeah imo its harder to clean sand. technically you just stir the sand so the debri goes into the filter. but ive had trouble with sand in my filter. i just try to stay away from sand in general

Thanks! I decided to use black rocks. I got 2 black convicts and a striped raphael catfish. I think I have a male and a female. The guy at the pet store said the ones with red on the lower part of their stripes were males. Is this true? Also the female chases the male. The female is about 2 inches and the male is about an inch. Thanks again!!!

He has it backwards. The ones with the red, orange or pink spots are the females. Thus, the male is chasing the female.

estiban_and_chichi2.jpg

Female top, Male bottom.

Yep Female Cons have red bellies. Males will tend to grow larger than the females.

Exellent pic, Ingusmat. 8)

Sand is easy to clean, just hover the siphon above the surface and it will suck off debris and waste off the top without sucking up sand.

I always like the fact that I can see what debris is on the sand to clean it.....

Will you raise the fry whenyou get them or use as feeders??

jump

I would get cons because I really like them, but theyre really agressive and people said that they mess their tanks up, so id say Firemouths then.

Jumpman I'm gonna raise some of them in an extra ten gallon tank that is empty. And I'm gonna use some of them as feeders for my oscars in my 120 gallon tank. Thanks guys!!!

Most reactions

Back