Converting

Morri

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have a 100 gallon marine tank but due to a promtion at work I cannot commit the time to my tank that it deserves :(

So I am looking into selling my marine stock on and converting my current tank from marine to a Tropeus tank I hada few questions and wondered if someone could help with :)

My current tank is sumped what would I put in the sump to act as a filter ?

I currently have a lot of light I am guessing this would not be needed for Tropheous what is best to light with LEDs or T5s ?

how much maintenance do Tropheous need 10% water change is no issues on a weekly basis for me.

What tests are needed to be carried out on the tank and what frequency ?

Can you add tank mates in with Tropheous if so what are good ?

I am sure I will have more questions as I think about it more :)

Many Thanks

I dont think anyone runs a sump on here apart from elise. Im sure she will tell you want she has in hers.

I currently have a lot of light I am guessing this would not be needed for Tropheous what is best to light with LEDs or T5s ?

Yeah T5s would be fine.

how much maintenance do Tropheous need 10% water change is no issues on a weekly basis for me.

Tropheus could do with 25-30 percent weekly.

I just test ammonia, ph, nitrate, nitite. I rarey test now to be honest as i can normally see if something is wrong. (once every 6-8 weeks maybe) When starting out though, obviously you want to be testing frequently till your tanks stable and then maybe once a month.

If i was getting a group i personaly wouldnt bother. What were you thinking? You could do a couple of diff species though.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks Bullit I have LEDs and T5s atm guessingso will sell which one I do not need :)

Silly question maybe with a water change do you just use tap water with a condtioner or RO ?

Tank mate was thinking Synodontis maybe some Brichardi, plecs ?

Hi All,

I currently have a 100 gallon marine tank but due to a promtion at work I cannot commit the time to my tank that it deserves :(

So I am looking into selling my marine stock on and converting my current tank from marine to a Tropeus tank I hada few questions and wondered if someone could help with :)

Many Thanks

Hi Morri :)

I have a Malawi setup and do run a sump on there, the details of how it`s setup and what media I use are here:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/352825-sump-for-freshwater-malawi-tank/

I have 2X T5 39W tubes on my 380L so smaller T5s would be fine on yours. I also have the 1W blue led light (Arcadia I think) that comes on in the evenings. All of my lights are on timer plugs ;)
As for water changes I look at doing 50% (at least) a week on the Malawi tank, however on my Tanganyikan setup I only do 30% weekly. I use the API test kit as it`s a great kit and very easy to use and I test once or twice a week.

Can`t help you with the tank mates thing I`m afraid as I`ve never kept Tropheus.

Hope this all helps :)

Thanks elisew will have a read up are there any good importers / shops for me to get my stock from ?

Thanks Bullit I have LEDs and T5s atm guessingso will sell which one I do not need :)

Silly question maybe with a water change do you just use tap water with a condtioner or RO ?

Tank mate was thinking Synodontis maybe some Brichardi, plecs ?

Yeah i use tap water with conditioner. I use one for ponds so it lasts forever.

A group of Synodontis is a good shout as is a pair of gobies. Id leave the brichardi out as they will want a territory of there own so could lead to probs when they start breeding. Plecs is again fine but all tangs would be cool. Whether you want one for cleanup duty will be irrelevant as the trophs are grazers. They will want a spirilina diet anyway.

For stock id use aquarist classified.

Hi, I have only just set up a juvenile group of Tropheus in a grow out tank, as previousy mentioned 25-30% weekly for the water chanes, I use 2 jerry cans , seachem prime and leave for 24hrs at room temp.Only just done my first water change tonight.. As for tank mates Gobies work well, they are quick enouh and tough enough to get out of the way if need be and they eat the same diet, also active rock scrapers, check out
Eretmodus cyanostictus
Eretmodus sp.'moba'(Tanganicodus irsacae Moba) smaller goby
If you are tempted by the Tropheus and have never kept them I would seriously consider the duboisi, slightly smaller, slightly less aggressive and slightly more forgiving when it comes to water and general care....
All the best, let us know how it goes :good:

Oh Morri, your gorgeous tank, so sorry you are having to shut it down, you put so much work into it :sad:

Dont be a stranger in the salty side of the forum

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie its heartbreaking but I feel I owe it to my stock to be in a home that has plenty of time to care for them all going up on UR atm :(

Thanks kiriyama I have kept cichlids before and water husbandry I learnt very well keeping marines my logic is that I should only need 50% of the time spent on marines looking after fresh water :)

Does anyone use marine LEDs on cichlid tanks as I already have these 2 blue 2 white ?

Thanks kiriyama I have kept cichlids before and water husbandry I learnt very well keeping marines my logic is that I should only need 50% of the time spent on marines looking after fresh water :)

Does anyone use marine LEDs on cichlid tanks as I already have these 2 blue 2 white ?

Yeah I have an actinic blue in the 190ltr Tananyikan community tank, I use it on its own as a "moonlight" and also with the white lights to btin out the subtle blue in the fish :good:

Most reactions

Back