Conversion 29Gl: Community To African Cichlid

nut4clife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just converted my 29gl community tank to a Mbuna tank. 
Hardware: Aqueon Quietflow 30, API Filstar Canister XP-M, 100w Submersible Heater, Topfin 3000 airpump
Substrate: Caribsea African Cichlid Mix
Decor: River rocks, artificial driftwood, colored glass rocks, seashells
residents: 2 Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos, 3 Pseudotropheus acei; 1 Metriaclima estherae
I'm looking at increasing the tank length to a 60gl in March when I move.  Any suggestions are welcome.

So, my suggestion is this. Get rid of the Red zebra. THey are highly aggressive and as someone who has kept africans for years, I can say that I have never successfully kept them in a community, only a species tank. They stressed my tanks to white spot. If they are all babies right now, you may wait and see if growing up together will allow them to live in harmony, but keep an eye for aggression. When you do increase the size of the tank, increase the numbers of the species of fish and add them in at least groups of 3 to minimize a fish being singled out.

But I can say that is a very lovely tank you have and I look forward to seeing your fully stocked 60g.

Simpledog,
Thanks for your feedback!  Surprisingly the Red Zebra has only shown mild aggression towards the acei routinely.  The male cyaneorhabdos (I think I have a male and female) has been the most aggressive towards all but more docile to the female cyaneorhabdos and the Red Zebra leading me to believe the Red Zebra is a female.  This is the reason I established in the beginning two territories of rocks separated by the large driftwood. 
My LFS classified the Red Zebra as a "assorted African cichlids (sm) Pseudotropheus or Melanochromis spp.".  Your thoughts...is it a Red or a Assorted Pseudo?  Thanks.

It looks to me like a Red Zebra and as it gets bigger you will see that it has teeth and will do massive damage. Like I said, if its docile now, monitor the situation. As it is young you may never have a problem. I had a monster lol

Oh goodness!!!  Not what I had in mind lol!  Maybe return it to my LFS while that option is on the table!

I just saw it!  I saw the bars that aptly define the species!  She/he turned under the lighting and I had a quick glimpse of the vertical "bars" or strips.  I'll be brave on this one and do a wait and see.  Good luck me!

You may wait it out if there are no current problems. You may not encounter any at all. I was just letting you know from what I experienced.

SimpleDog said:
You may wait it out if there are no current problems. You may not encounter any at all. I was just letting you know from what I experienced.
Thanks SD!  This is all so new and exciting, yet I'm so glad there are members like your self who are willing to share their experiences.  Kudos!
book.gif

Most reactions

Back