Considering Turning Salty.

Doohiky

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi salties!
I've been reading this side of the forum for a while now and certainly salty seems to be the way to go. However, as I'm currently living at home (at 6th form college atm) my options for this are rather limited. I read the artile in PFK about how to set up the TMC Microhabitat 15. For udner £100 which is very misleading as that's purely the cost of the tank! Anyway, rambling.
The TMC Microhabitat 15 would be what I went for if I did go salty becuase of it's relatively low costs compared to larger tanks regarding initial cost and maintenace and because of size. (Parents like the ir house how it is etc.) I know that a tank of this size is much less forgiving of bad water but it's a challenge I'm willing to confront.
The main issue in deciding whether I go for this is whether the TMC Microhabitat 15 can also be used for a Freshwater system. As I should be off to university in September/October (fingers crossed) I feel that the time between now and then would be ample to set up and enjoy the tank. (Please say if it's not) While I would be willing to leave my parents to care for a simple Freshwater system in my absence (they havea small amount of experience) I feel it would be unfair on them and the inhabitants of the tank if I asked them to care for a reef in my absence. So here lies the killer question/s.
1) Would it be possible to set up and enjoy a reef in the TMC Microhabitat 15 in this time;
2) Would it be possible to convert the TMC Microhabitat 15 form Saltwater to Freshwater and back again when I finish university.

As the system comes with a filter and a skimmer I assume I could use just the filter with changed media for a freshwater tank with say some RCS?

Anyway, if any of you can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Doohiky

I'm just a beginner so please take my advice with a pinch of salt. But i think maintaining a 15l marine tank is going to be a nightmare for a beginner. Marine Stock is used to extremely Stable conditions at sea and so is very susceptible to changes in water chemistry/temp. Also such a small tank is limited for your stocking options. If you did decide to go this direction couldn't you take the tank with you to uni ?

I realise that water chemistry in a 15l is going to be a bit of a nightmare but it's the cost and the size that make this choice for me.
I'm not sure if any Uni would allow me to run a fishtank, however small, off of their electricity in halls.

So here lies the killer question/s.
1) Would it be possible to set up and enjoy a reef in the TMC Microhabitat 15 in this time;
2) Would it be possible to convert the TMC Microhabitat 15 form Saltwater to Freshwater and back again when I finish university.

As the system comes with a filter and a skimmer I assume I could use just the filter with changed media for a freshwater tank with say some RCS?

Its perfectly possible but very limiting: however the TMC looks a nice little tank and if you work with its limitations and are happy to do weekly maintance, then yes :good: You do however have to realise that you will only be able to keep something like a shrimp, dwarf hermit and a snail in there, along with maybe a zoa or mushroom garden (which would look nice) and maybe some xenia.

It is perfectly possible to use a marine tank for fresh water etc as long as it it cleaned out and the fresh water tank does not have copper based medications.

You could even think of doing a uk biotope with beadlets

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back