Confusing Test Results

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GJF

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone!

So I think I'm finally getting somewhere in terms of cycling my tank.

Today is day 11 of my fishless cycle. I carried out a water change on Monday after which my test results were approx 3ppm of Ammonia and .5ppm Nitrite. At this point I didnt test for Nitrate.

Today i decided to carry out tests for all three and i found that my ammonia is approximately still 3.0ppm, however Nitrite has now increased to 1ppm and more interestingly for myself Nitrate is present at around 10ppm.

I am very confused now as to where I am in the cycle and what to do now.

It's probably worth mentioning that I do have live plants in my tank which appear to be doing well and growing nicely. When I began my cycle I did add Fluval Cycle to try and kick things on and other than that the only thing I have added is 2.5ml of Seachem flourish 7 days ago.

I have attached a pic of my test results showing what I have described above.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Attachments

• 20200220_153959.jpg
    20200220_153959.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 63
Hi, if it was my tank I would just keep it running. I don't think water changes are needed at your low nitrate levels ( so bacteria are growing ) , wait for ammonia to drop down to 0 before adding any more ammonia and nitrate should go up and up. When am and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is up its done. Nearly there, use the quick start and increase the temp if you can.

Nitrate test kits read nitrite as nitrate, so don't bother testing for nitrate until the ammonia and nitrite have gone up and come back down to 0.

Good Afternoon Everyone!

So I think I'm finally getting somewhere in terms of cycling my tank.

Today is day 11 of my fishless cycle. I carried out a water change on Monday after which my test results were approx 3ppm of Ammonia and .5ppm Nitrite. At this point I didnt test for Nitrate.

Today i decided to carry out tests for all three and i found that my ammonia is approximately still 3.0ppm, however Nitrite has now increased to 1ppm and more interestingly for myself Nitrate is present at around 10ppm.

I am very confused now as to where I am in the cycle and what to do now.

It's probably worth mentioning that I do have live plants in my tank which appear to be doing well and growing nicely. When I began my cycle I did add Fluval Cycle to try and kick things on and other than that the only thing I have added is 2.5ml of Seachem flourish 7 days ago.

I have attached a pic of my test results showing what I have described above.

Thanks in advance for advice!
FluvalSmart cycle, according to the instructions, needs adding on a regular basis. More of this added equals more bacteria to increase the cycle rate

Most reactions

Back