Confused

westieboy12

Reaction score
Hiya

You may remember I was on here on Sunday asking advice on Fish Tanks, I have not had fish for 15 years and then it seemed so easy then. now I hear about cycling the tank and getting levels right in the tank. im sooooo confused now having done lots of research and different sites and people giving conflicting advice. how long will I have to keep my new tank cycling and what should i put in while its cycling, how do I know when its ready for my new little friends. this was never a worry 15 years ago just had to get the tank to the right temperature and off you went.

Many Thanks for your help

Very Confused and worried im gonna do my new little friends harm when I get them, not even had my Tank delivered yet.

I know one thing for sure, the advice given on this forum about cycling works 100%. Fishless cycle is the best method, and sounds much more complicated than it actually is.

There is no set time frame for cycling a tank. You will need to get a water test kit (API master) and pure ammonia. Your tank will be ready for fish when the bacteria can convert 4 ppm of ammonia into nitrates within 24 hours. If you have access to mature filter media from another tank this can happen almost instantly, if you do not it will take a number of weeks. This link will help you get started http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/113861-fishless-cycling/

As above.

Easiest way wihtout risking fishes would be to buy ammonia from your LFS rather than neat stuff from chemist. They will give you instruction on how much to add. After that it is a matter of waiting for the ammonia and nitrite to disappear. This will takes days to weeks, so be patient. You will also need a water test kit, again from your LFS. Liquid ones are better.

Adrian

Most reactions

Back