Completely New Tank

It is just my observation that we've had any number of beginners give up in frustration with UGF filters. They do not work well with plants that are rooted in the substrate. The substrate, which must be large enough gravel not to fall through the cracks, must be leveled in an even layer, so that all parts of the gravel will receive an even water flow. Many months to a year down the road, just when you are getting settled, the space under the grids will get clogged, necessitating a full tear-down of your tank (otherwise the difficult skill of using a siphon tube to suction out through the grid must be learned.) A RUGF solves some of these problems but even this is questionable.

Please understand me, I'm not in any way saying that the UGF design doesn't work, and it's clear you understand the principle since you mention having a separate mechanical filter. It's just that we do seem to have any number of our experienced people who have abandoned them, especially for EC filters. The maintenance is just much more straight-forward on the EC units. Its true though that UGF/RUGF nearly always are at the cheaper end of the cost spectrum and ECs are at the higher end.

In a non-UGF tank, sand is just as do-able as gravel. It just takes a different skill to do the weekly maintenance, a bit harder than the gravel. It opens up more possibilities for cories and other bottom dwellers (or there are also non-sharp gravels, but they are harder to come by.)

Unfortunately, with all aquarium equipment it is better to do lots and lots of up-front work to verify things like cutouts and detailed measurements rather than just assuming things will work together. It can be painful sometimes but if you expect it from the beginning it helps. A lot of these things can be cut however. Hoses tend to come in standardized sizes and optional intake/outlet equipment can be used with filters very often.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated. Ive been reading more about (R)UGF's tonight and i've decided against them. I'll instead use an EC, would the one below be ok?

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-external-filter-150-l-h-5696-0.html

The filter listed above states 150.l/h, giving a turnover of roughly 3x an hour (55~litre tank), is this enough?

Is there anything else you'd advise getting to accompany it? ie. to aid aeration?

Rob

That filter does not inspire my confidence. The main competitors among ECs are Tetratec, Fluval, Rena and Eheim. It sometimes takes work to find the true stat sheets on the web. You want to try and find the flow rate in liters per hour or gallons per hour as opposed to the marketing info that says it handles such and so size of tank. We work on turnover rates of 4x to 10x and beyond although many beginners look for 5x turnover as a reasonable starting point if they are not trying to be heavy-duty planted tank enthusiasts. 5x turnover means the entire water volume of your tank is filtered through the filter 5 times in an hour. Work backward from that and keep in mind that the manufacturers will be telling you numbers that will try to be higher than reality.

~~waterdrop~~

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/eheim/13352

this one works out to be 7x turnover (390/55~ltrs), seems to have good reviews and ive found a set up guide :)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/eheim/13352

this one works out to be 7x turnover (390/55~ltrs), seems to have good reviews and ive found a set up guide :)

Personally i have to say that i really rate eheim filters. Classics are good and the professional series are also good(Although expensive). I've heard that people have had issues with eheim ecco's also just so you know.

Ok, i'll keep an eye on it. i didnt really want to spend more than about £50 on a filter, so i shopped around and found a PLUS version of the Eheim and bought it.

http://www.aquariumsuperstore.co.uk/product.php?productid=1&cat=442&page=1

Oh good, you've come upon one of what I think are among the best choices if you are on a budget.. the older Eheim classics. They are not as easy and convenient as the Pro filters from Eheim but it's not hard to learn the skills for fiddling with them to get your maintenance done (you have to learn to prime them manually and things like that.) The quality of these filters is among the best. A filter, along with a good test kit is probably ranks as some of the most core and important gear in the hobby.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back