Complete Newbie

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jaquiscorpio

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there I am from Halifax West Yorkshire I set up and started my very first tropical aquarium.
I am looking for easy brightly coloured fish to join the Harlequins I have got as I am cycling my tank and have had a excellent water test
Hope to gain knowledge and advice from peeps on here.
Jaqui

Can you return the fish and do a fishless cycle? It's a much safer, faster, and humane way to do things.

I agree with attibones.  If you are not cycled yet the Harlequins, while easy to care for, are not the hardiest when subjected to the fluctuations in water parameters that you are going to go through.

When you say you have had excellent water tests, what exactly does this mean?  Are you fully cycled and showing 0ppm Ammonia and Nitrite, while having a readable amount of Nitrates?  Or are you in the cycle process and showing other readings?

I would agree too. Fish in cycles are hard work and stressful for both you and the fish

welcomeani.gif
 though and we're here to help in any way we can :)

Well I was told Harlequins are hardy and have lost 2 and since putting in my home made tree I have now got a film on top of the water removed it by skimming with paper towel and it's back again if I could post a pic I could shoe my set up....
I have a 110l juwel tank with tropica under gravel substrate. The water has quick start and conditioner

Harlequins are hardy, but no fish will be unaffected by the raised ammonia and nitrite in a fish-in cycle; they can still be made very sick or die, as you've found
sad.png

Films on top of water are quite common; it could be a sort of algae, or proteins or oils from fish food. If you can, raise your filter slightly (or lower the water level) so you've got more surface agitation; that'll prevent the film from forming.

Do you have kits to test the water? You really need to be testing for ammonia and nitrite at least daily.

I'd suggest you have a read of these threads; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433769-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i/

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433778-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il/

that should help you understand what you need to be doing
smile.png

^ +1 ^

films are usually down to low surface movement. Try to avoid putting your hands in the water too often as oils from our skin can add to it. You've done the right thing skimming it with kitchen paper - another trick (which I read on here only recently) is to turn the syphon when your water changing so it's sucking from the surface - not easy to do but it does make sense that it'll suck the film from the surface :)

Reading was all perfect apart from 0.25 ppm amonia again when I took sample today and 2 Harlequins free to replace and got a plant too

plants can help absorb some ammonia but I'd still keep up the water changes daily to keep it down. It'll take longer but it's better for the fish in my opinion
smile.png

I've just realised your in Yorkshire. Our water is incredibly soft so I'm wondering what you pH is reading at. It may be that the pH is very low (mine's about 6 and I'm not too far away from you) and a pH reading as low as 6 means that ammonia isn't toxic as it converts to ammonium 

The ph level was fine I take samples to CVA in Sowerby Bridge
I plan on getting a water kit sooner tha later
I've lost another fish tonight, if they all perish I will cycle it without anymore fish in.
Are we allowed to add locals on FB by asking for the email address they use or has it to be kept to this forum

Hi again,
A pH of 'fine' doesn't tell us much. Ph can range from 3 up to 10 - all is 'fine' but only certain fish can be kept in those kinds of readings. I'll try and explain a bit better for you seen as this is all new to you.

Firstly water chemistry isn't my expertise and so if I get anything wrong someone please correct me. 

The water that comes from our taps can be hard or soft. This is often dependent on area. Here in Yorkshire it's generally soft to very soft. I know someone in Halifax with a natural pH from his tap of 5,5. He has no gH (general hardness) or kH (carbonate hardness) meaning that the pH in his tank is subject to possible swings and this is very dangerous for the fish. A stable pH is good for the fish - wild swings are not. There are ways to deal with this but it's far too complicated even for me to get to grips with so I'm not going to frighten you with it right now.

So. Our fish come from various differing climates. Some fish (mostly those from South America) live naturally in very soft water and low pH, gH and kH and so are great for those of us living in a natural soft water area. Other fish come from places such as Africa or Asia where the water naturally is harder with a high pH, gH and kH.

Your lfs telling you that your pH is 'fine' doesn't help us to assertain what type of water you have and what level your tank is running at. A tank with a low pH can take longer to cycle but if it's really low Ammonia presents as Ammonium which isn't toxic to fish and won't kill them. If it is running at a neutral pH (pH 7 is neutral) then it will cycle well. Below that and it might take a little longer.

If you ask your lfs to test your water again (before your own kit arrives) then ask them to write down the readings. That way you can bring them here and we can see what you are dealing with.
Most local stores are really good but some will say 'oh that's all fine' and send you away not knowing you've got a toxic level of something. Basicly some of them care about the fish they are selling you and want them to be kept in a non-toxic enviroment. Other's don't give a Darn because all they care about is profits.

I've never visited the lfs you speak of. I'm over in Harrogate in North Yorkshire. I have a handful of reasonable stores this side of Yorkshire but only one of them has my 100% trust.  

On a side note - Harlequins are a soft water fish so you have chosen well there. Other soft water fish are tetra's, South American cichlids such as Angelfish, alot of the catfish such as the Ancistrus catfish and Corydora's too. There is in my opinion much more choice in soft water fish than in hard water
smile.png

Hope I havn't overwhelmed you with too much complcated info. I've tried to keep it simple but water chemistry isn't the easiest thing to get to grips with - it still confuses me and I've been keeping fish for years! 

No all your advice is fantastic thank you and highly appreciated it's a shame u can't remember I only went yesterday too lol

don't worry. Just think of this as a learning curve. It's a journey we've all travelled at some point. I'm trying to keep things as simple as I can so's not to overwhelm you but if there's something you don't get or are confused about please tell me and I'll try to explain it in a way you get. We all learn differently :)

Just something I've remember to add regarding pH/gH/kH. There are often factors within our tanks that means the tank pH/gH/Kh (the three work together although I admit to only understanding it partially)  can differ from the tap.

Some substrates can affect pH (and the gH and kh but we'll just use the pH as it's easier to type!) Some substrates contain things that can buffer (that means raise) the pH and some contain things that can cause it to fall. Adding things like natural bogwood can help to soften the water and also affect the pH slightly. There is also the build up of organics (fish poo, plants etc) which happen over time that can affect the pH too.

It's always good to know what the pH of the tap is and what the tank settles at. For instance, my tap pH varies a bit from day to day but it averages out at about 7.2 - 7.4 so that's close to neutral (neutral being 7) but my tank settles at pH 6. Part of this is because my sand contains something that drops the pH and I have some very large pieces of bogwood too. My tank has also been running for nearly 2 years so it has a build up of organics - which are perfectly normal and natural.

This means that when I water change my tank I raise my pH very slightly. I change around 25% once a week. This creates a small swing but it falls and settles again within 24 hours. Fish will tolerate small swings - it happens in the wild when the rains come usually. If the tank was swinging wildly day to day they would die.
The reason my tank pH falls is also partly down to having a very very low gH and kH - this seems to be normal in our area. Our water is soft because it contains very little general hardness or carbonate hardness.

When you get your kit test the tank pH and the tap pH and see if there is a difference. If the tank pH is lower than the tap pH consider getting a gH and kH test aswell as I suspect yours will be as low as mine is! 

I'll shut up now before I really confuse you lol

Most reactions

Back