Complete Beginner - Is This Scenario Suitable? Any Recommended Books?

jenni8888

Reaction score
Hi all :) I'm starting to research into getting a basic beginner aquarium. I've been getting the magazine practical fishkeeping and to be honest its not really suitable for complete beginners - although this month they had a page on 'Nano on a budget' which is want I want to get, however they don't go into any detail.

So my ideas of the set up....are....

Tank - about 30cm sized, so 23/25 litre

hopefully I can get one with filters, heater and light all included - are there any specific good models?

Fish - 4-6 male guppies (are smaller tanks actually suitable for guppies?)

Because they are middle to top swimmers, would it be possible to keep red crystal shrimp with them or would the tank be too small or fight with the fish. The water temps and water pH of the two are within the same range, although the KH is a bit awkward.

However every source I find for the temps, pH and KH figures for guppies and the shrimps all are different - what would be a suitable range?

Substrate - is kids sand pit sand ok for guppies or should gravel be used?

Live plants - I have no absolutely no idea what kinds of plants or how many I should get for that sized tank.

Decor - some replica wood (with the plants)

Fish food - some generic tropical fish flakes? and frozen micro bloodworms and brine shrimp?

Other equipment:

Water test kit - I have seen that this one has good reviews 'API Freshwater Master Test Kit'
Dechlorinator
siphon
fish net
algae scrubber (if I don't get the shrimps)
Thermometer

Can anyone suggest any books for freshwater aquariums? Ive ordered a few, and seen 'The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums' - is that any good?

Sorry for such a large first post, I just want to get everything researched and sorted out :)

Hi Jen, welcome to the forum.

"Nano" tanks are not realy suitable for the beginner as they are realy, realy hard to keep stable, the more water volume you have the easier it is to keep the water perameters in the good zone. Bigger tanks also give a leeway when it comes to water problems, eg it takes a longer time for it to become dangerous, with a Nano tank that situation can occur in a matter of hours.

Get the biggest tank you can, then its all gravy.

Tom

I would tend to agree with Tom. I started with a 25 litre and within weeks I wanted a bigger thank and then a few months later I wanted another larger tank!

Guppies are a good fish to start with, platies are also a good starter fish. They are very easy to keep. Platies tend to be hardier these days than the guppy though.

Good tank models: Juwel and Fluval would be the two I'd stick with but it is entirely up to you which tank you get. I have a Juwel Rekord 800. It's just a little short of 3ft long, came with a good filter, heater and lighting system. I paid £125 for it. It's easy to maintain and I would recommend to anyone.

You can have any substrate you wish, sand or gravel, both are fine with guppies but if you plan to move on to bottom dwellers later sand would be better.

Have you read up on fishless cycling on here? It's a good place to start.

Good luck with it :)

Welcome to the forum
I'd agree with what's already been said.
Nano tanks are great for shrimp, but not so good for fish as you're very limited as to what you can have
If you can afford & have the space for a larger tank, then go for a larger one.
As to fish keeping books, they look nice on the shelf, but the members here are very knowledgable & will help you any way they can, just ask the questions :)

Welcome! Have you read about fish-less cycling yet? That's something you should do before starting as well. Then you can be sure to start out the right way the first time.

Beginners Resource.

Give that a peek! :hi: :hi: :hi:

Thank you all for your replies - I have taken your advice to heart and I am going for a larger tank and will definitely do a fish-less cycle :D

Thank you all for your replies - I have taken your advice to heart and I am going for a larger tank and will definitely do a fish-less cycle :D
Good Idea. I recently got into the hobby myself along with my kids... and now I have 2 10 gallon tanks not doing a heck of alot. Though I do have one set up currently in case I need it with one White cloud in it.

From the time I got the 10 gallons... I gotten a 72 gallon bow front, 50 gallon, and a 30 gallon. I am game and may buy a 75 gallon soon.

Watertown, we are not supposed to let on to new people just how addicting this hobby can be. I have 26 tanks myself.
Guppies can be kept at almost any temperature from around 18C to 26C but will live longer at the lower temperature. The shrimp that are all the craze these days, the neocaradina, can also be kept in much the same range. Neither one is particularly picky about water parameters nor temperature so they make decent tank mates. I would establish a thriving guppy tank before introducing the shrimp since the shrimp seem to require a bit more stable set of water conditions.

Most reactions

Back