Compatibility

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kazzaye

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello fellow fish keepers
I recently bought 3 yo-yo loaches to tackle a snail problem in my tank. Snails have probably gone down by 2/3 which I’m happy with. I had a few cardinal tetras left after a storm left us powerless for 3 days. The addition of the yo-yo loaches decimated the remaining tetras I have one left . The yo-yos attacked them . I presently have 2 yo-yo chasing each other around the tank one died I think it was attacked. Not sure what to do now

How big is your Yoyo loach?
And how big is your tank?

By right, Yoyo shouldn't be too aggressive.

I think it’s about 150 litre my 2 yo-yos are about inch and a half

I keep reading so much crap about this or that fish shouldn’t be aggressive . I’ve had tanks for 15 years. Most Fish are agressive

There's an old nursery rhyme about swallowing a fly, then swallowing a spider to eat it, and so on. It has a lot of wisdom.

I never ever buy a fish I don't want. I never buy a fish to do a job, because when the job's done, you still have that fish. With loaches, it's a long lived fish you can have for years. And years.

I think you're stuck researching loaches and setting up a tank around them. If, like me, you don't like loaches, it changes nothing. Been there. Done that.

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her! She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
Imagine that! She swallowed a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird, She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her! She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
What a hog, to swallow a dog!
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat, She swallowed the cat to catch the bird, She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
There was an old lady who swallowed a goat;
She just opened her throat and swallowed a goat!
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog, She swallowed the dog to catch the cat, She swallowed the cat to catch the bird, She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
There was an old lady who swallowed a cow;
I don't know how she swallowed a cow!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat, She swallowed the goat to catch the dog, She swallowed the dog to catch the cat, She swallowed the cat to catch the bird, She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her! She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she’ll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a horse;
...She's dead, of course![1]

Angel fish apparently peaceful kill each other
Gouramis as above

Hello fellow fish keepers
I recently bought 3 yo-yo loaches to tackle a snail problem in my tank. Snails have probably gone down by 2/3 which I’m happy with. I had a few cardinal tetras left after a storm left us powerless for 3 days. The addition of the yo-yo loaches decimated the remaining tetras I have one left . The yo-yos attacked them . I presently have 2 yo-yo chasing each other around the tank one died I think it was attacked. Not sure what to do now

You might now realize some of what I will post, so bear with me if it is old news. First point is never acquire a fish to solve an issue, unless you really like the fish as a fish and you can provide what it needs. Which brings me to the temperaments/behaviours of this species.

What you have experienced is fully in keeping with this species and your only recourse now (ASAP) is to separate the two loaches, or one will be hounded, severely stressed, and likely die.

Loaches are shoaling cyprinids. They must have a group, and five is about the minimum. Botia almorhae is the Yo Yo species, and like the other species in this genus, it forms an hierarchy within a group. This occurs rather soon after the group is placed in an aquarium. There will often be an alpha who controls the group. With five or more, the dominance of not only the alpha (who is often female) but others in the group will be controlled. When you have two or three, there is every probability that one of them may take on the alpha role, and depending how this fish and the other two relate, it can lead to the death of one and possibly both.

At 6 inches 15cm length, this fish needs a 4-foot/120cm long tank minimum, and with lots of hiding places, chunks of wood being ideal, or something replicating this. Each loach will select its home, so there needs to be sufficient options. This is generally a peaceful species, though not as calm as some others in the genus.

You might now realize some of what I will post, so bear with me if it is old news. First point is never acquire a fish to solve an issue, unless you really like the fish as a fish and you can provide what it needs. Which brings me to the temperaments/behaviours of this species.

What you have experienced is fully in keeping with this species and your only recourse now (ASAP) is to separate the two loaches, or one will be hounded, severely stressed, and likely die.

Loaches are shoaling cyprinids. They must have a group, and five is about the minimum. Botia almorhae is the Yo Yo species, and like the other species in this genus, it forms an hierarchy within a group. This occurs rather soon after the group is placed in an aquarium. There will often be an alpha who controls the group. With five or more, the dominance of not only the alpha (who is often female) but others in the group will be controlled. When you have two or three, there is every probability that one of them may take on the alpha role, and depending how this fish and the other two relate, it can lead to the death of one and possibly both.

At 6 inches 15cm length, this fish needs a 4-foot/120cm long tank minimum, and with lots of hiding places, chunks of wood being ideal, or something replicating this. Each loach will select its home, so there needs to be sufficient options. This is generally a peaceful species, though not as calm as some others in the genus.

Thanks for your advice
I have a 500 litre tank with 4 15 year old clown loaches who are very contented. How do you think the 2 yo-yo loaches would go in there? Otherwise should I buy a few more yo-yo and add them to the pair living on their own ? Will 3 more yo-yos get attacked by the older2?

Thanks for your advice
I have a 500 litre tank with 4 15 year old clown loaches who are very contented. How do you think the 2 yo-yo loaches would go in there?

No. This is not at all advisable. The two Yo Yo's will almost certainly be viewed as intruders and not last. I doubt the reverse would be likely, if the four Clowns are established.

Numbers of a shoaling species must be numbers of that species. Each species is distinct, with all of this forming its individual genetic makeup.

Otherwise should I buy a few more yo-yo and add them to the pair living on their own ? Will 3 more yo-yos get attacked by the older2?

No. This almost never works. The problem is that the three original loaches were on their own long enough for the inherent traits to establish [difficult to put this in words]. To be blunt, the two have been harmed to the point of no return, so now the consequences play out. One of them is clearly dominant, and any new loaches brought in to this aquarium are going to be entering its space, and pay the consequences. In the natural habitat this rarely occurs because the fish has large groups, and the entire watercourse. Within the confines of any home aquarium, things are very different. The fish have been forced into a totally unnatural situation, and it has limited means to deal with it--aggression, or withdrawal and death.

Most reactions

Back