Compatibility

But in that sized tank you may get away with a pair of something small like rainbows or something of similar size or aggression but for the big boys i would stick with a single male or female of the species you like
My 2 Favourites would have to be the Green Terror and the Juwel Cichlid which I believe are both pretty aggressive could I get a pair each of these and something big and tough like a tiger oscar? Maybe a large tough catfish for the bottom of the tank?

or maybe the same but with out the Oscar

i would not recommend a pair of jewels personally

and it would be touch and go with the GT's and an oscar you would have better chances if you got them all from juvis

i would not recommend a pair of jewels personally

and it would be touch and go with the GT's and an oscar you would have better chances if you got them all from juvis
Which way round would the gt and oscar be not a good plan. i'm guessing the oscar may try to eat it or something?

With it being a 300 US Gallon Tank 249 UK gallons would I beable to get 3 pairs of Green Terrors or a group of males if there was lots of rock work etc to hid in?

With it being a 300 US Gallon Tank 249 UK gallons would I beable to get 3 pairs of Green Terrors or a group of males if there was lots of rock work etc to hid in?
1 pair. Cichlids when they breed, are monsters. Especially to fish of their own species.

I'd say get 1 pair and stock around it with whatever they don't try to kill, or get a bunch of males or different species and just don't breed the fish. Aggressive cichlids when they're breeding only get even more psychotic.

1 pair. Cichlids when they breed, are monsters. Especially to fish of their own species.

I'd say get 1 pair and stock around it with whatever they don't try to kill, or get a bunch of males or different species and just don't breed the fish. Aggressive cichlids when they're breeding only get even more psychotic.
So something like 2 male Green Terrors, 1 maybe 2 male Jack Dempsey, 1 Juwel.
I've also seen lots of people keep silver dollars with there green terrors and juwels is this possible?

I've also seen lots of people keep silver dollars with there green terrors and juwels is this possible?
Like I said, it all depends on your cichlid. Silver dollars are commonly kept with large cichlids, because they are pretty large schooling fish. But then again, tiger barbs are pretty commonly kept with convict cichlids, and my convict tried ripping my tiger barbs into pieces.

Like I said, it all depends on your cichlid. Silver dollars are commonly kept with large cichlids, because they are pretty large schooling fish. But then again, tiger barbs are pretty commonly kept with convict cichlids, and my convict tried ripping my tiger barbs into pieces.
Ok
If it were your 8ft x 2.5ft x 2ft tank what would you put in it?

Ok
If it were my 8ft x 2.5ft x 2ft I would be the happiest man alive :lol:

But like I said, I'm no expert on stocking big tanks, I'm just basing the info that I give off of what I've heard and what I've seen in the behavior of smaller cichlids.

But to answer your question, in a tank that size, I'd aim for a few male oscars, probably 2, 3 might be pushing boundaries, and a large eel of sorts, and whatever can fit with the oscars that won't get killed. Generally, large barbs, and silver dollars will work. But it all depends on your oscars, some of them are pretty relaxed, and some of them are absolute terrors to stock with.

Ok

But like I said, I'm no expert on stocking big tanks, I'm just basing the info that I give off of what I've heard and what I've seen in the behavior of smaller cichlids.

But to answer your question, in a tank that size, I'd aim for a few male oscars, probably 2, 3 might be pushing boundaries, and a large eel of sorts, and whatever can fit with the oscars that won't get killed. Generally, large barbs, and silver dollars will work. But it all depends on your oscars, some of them are pretty relaxed, and some of them are absolute terrors to stock with.
Ok Thanks.
Think I might go with 2 male Green Terrors, a male Jack Dempsey, a male Juwel and some silver dollars.
would I have room for 6, 8, or 10 Silver dollars?

Ok

Ok Thanks.
Think I might go with 2 male Green Terrors, a male Jack Dempsey, a male Juwel and some silver dollars.
would I have room for 6, 8, or 10 Silver dollars?
10 would be good, maybe even more.

have your cichlid stock backed up with somebody with more experience or knowledge on large tanks, though. I'm thinking that stocking will be fine, but that's just me.

as it is it will look empty

what about ground crew etc?

Most reactions

Back