Compatibility Chart - Community Fish

Ok! It's just some people on here do get a bit funny! I was only trying to help :/

Sorry to make you feel like that, didn't mean to, but we are here to promote the wellbeing of the fish as our first priority. Now it seems pretty obvious to me that trusting to that chart could easily lead to dead fish, so I did feel that was worth pointing out. A chart is only useful if the information in it is correct. Misinformation is potentially more dangerous than no information. And it would be very awkward to have to tell somebody that their tank disaster had been caused by following a chart that they had seen recommended on this very forum with nobody suggesting there was anything wrong with it. As somebody who has had to deal with the "why did nobody tell me" in the emergency sections before, I would rather tell people in advance if I even faintly suspect a potential problem. This is not being funny, it's caring about the fish. And about their owners.

The chart on liveaquaria is a good place to start. I think all the "N"s and "C"s are accurate. I check there and if it says no or caution, then I figure there is indeed a problem. If it says yes, then I do further research.

Phishy25

I found the chart really useful, it gives a rough guidline of what fish you can mix with others, I think most people would look into it further but at least its a useful start, so thank you for posting it.

James

The chart on liveaquaria is a good place to start. I think all the "N"s and "C"s are accurate. I check there and if it says no or caution, then I figure there is indeed a problem. If it says yes, then I do further research.

My problem is not with the N's and C's which do indeed seem accurate, it's with the Y's- giving a newbie the impression that some very unsafe combination are fine.

Ok! It's just some people on here do get a bit funny! I was only trying to help :/

Sorry to make you feel like that, didn't mean to, but we are here to promote the wellbeing of the fish as our first priority. Now it seems pretty obvious to me that trusting to that chart could easily lead to dead fish, so I did feel that was worth pointing out. A chart is only useful if the information in it is correct. Misinformation is potentially more dangerous than no information. And it would be very awkward to have to tell somebody that their tank disaster had been caused by following a chart that they had seen recommended on this very forum with nobody suggesting there was anything wrong with it. As somebody who has had to deal with the "why did nobody tell me" in the emergency sections before, I would rather tell people in advance if I even faintly suspect a potential problem. This is not being funny, it's caring about the fish. And about their owners.

:nod:

yup i agree

please don't think people are being funny with you Phishy, there's loads of these compatibility charts floating round the web and I've yet to find one I trust. While they are a fantastic idea and with correct information would be invaluable there's generally so many errors and problems with them that I wouldn't recommend them at all.

The best way to check compatibility IMO is first to check the fish's water parameter requirements, pH, hardness, temp, water flow rate etc
Then check aggression, if either of the species is aggressive check in which way, territorial, peradatory etc? Check the fish's sizes if they're aggressive, would one of them fit in the others mouth?
Check decor requirements, who needs space, rocks, caves, plants etc
Check tank size requirements, while most fish have a minimum tank size some will have a maximum as well, check your fish aren't going to feel stressed and swamped being in a tank big enough to house the other one
Check swimming level, if all your fish are bottom swimmers you may struggle for room, you should try to balance things out or leave extra room in the tank
Check dietry requirements, it's nigh on impossible to get a community tank and get some of the fish to eat one sort of flake nad some to eat another, if they all like floating food they need to be able to exist from mainly the same foods etc

If all of the following matches up then you've a good chance the fish are going to get on and live well together, and as has been said before when you've worked out a list of fish you'd like for your tank based on the above post it up here and we'll let you know if there's any specifcs for the fish that have been missed out.

:good:

Most reactions

Back