Compatable fish

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have just started a fishless cycle in my new 19g tank. I am currently trying to worK out a list of compatable fish.

So far, I have Neon Tetras, Bloodfin Tetras and Albino Corys listed. I would like a few slightly bigger fish to accompany. First question; will Cherry Barbs and Checkered Barbs be happy in the tank with them

Also, are Siamese fighting fish compatable with all of these as long as they are alone (are they easy to keep as a mating pair, they are beautiful fishies!!) or are they temperemental with some smaller fish such as the Tetras.

Lastly, how many of each should I have (given that I have a 19 gallon (UK gallons) tank (30 inches in length)

Hey,

I haven't kept either Checkered or Rosy Barbs so I can't comment but I can unreservedly say that there is no problem keeping Siamese Fighters with anything that won't either eat, harass, or outcompete them for food, the one exception to this being another male in the aquarium.

So, if you keep say, one male to the 30", then you should have no compatability problems with virtually any of the smaller community fish. Buy a young one though, they don't have a great lifespan, about two or so years.

One word of caution...don't keep Siamese Fighters with Tiger Barb schools as they like to nip flowing finnage & will make short work of a Fighter's. For this reason, you may want to research the Checkered & Rosy's as quite a few Barbs bear this habit.

Hope that clears a few things up :)

Watch out for the barbs I used to have Golden & Cherry Barbs and one of these killed my betta literally overnight :-( :-( :sad:

I don't know a thing about checkered barbs, but watch out for the rosies. My experience has been that they are just as bad as tiger barbs, if not worse since they are bigger. I would not keep them with anything but other barbs or larger fish...

So I can keep a mating pair of Siamese fighting fish with the neons and corys at least. Are Siamese fish easy to breed. I just love their fins. Also, are they livebreeders, egg lares etc. And are they not too aggressive to smaller fish?

Ive never bred them, but you should try posting that question in the forum dedicated to these particular fish, called, "The Betta Bowl". They are Anabantid's so they create floating rafts, or bubblenests, as they are more commonly referred to, when they have mated.

The male places the eggs together in a tight cluster that floats on the surface. Best bred away from the community with other fish, in their own aquarium.

As far as numbers go, get a shoal of at least five, preferably ten Neon Tetras, as they won't live well in less than a small group. Three or four Albino Cats are a good idea too dude, they like a small school & are happier that way.

Ive kept Fighter's with both of these two types of fish & saw aggression against neither, not even the Neons. Everyone got along very well in a 36", not much bigger than yours. Fighters are generally quite peaceful, & I wouldnt think them a threat to your Neons.

Not sure about the breeding pairs aggression, but they should be bred in their own seperate tank anyway as I was saying.

Again, try the Fighter Forum found a little lower on the main page than this one :)

Probably best to get at least 2 female bettas if you plan to breed them,to give the male a choice,also male fiighters dont like to be turned down and lust can easily turn to hate resulting in a damaged female,where as with more than one he will just turn his attentions else where.If you are succsesful it is nessasary to remove the female from the breeding tank once the eggs have been laid,the male will protect the nest from all comers including his mate.Sorry cant help any further than that as we've never actually had any eggs hatch :huh: but i would think freshly hatched brine shrimp would be best to feed the fry. :)

With regards to how many fish to put in your tank, I was told, when I started my tank, that there should be a gallon for every inch of fish. Say, for example, you have 2 inch fish, then you should only put in 10. If you have 1 inch fish or less, put in 20 or more. Otherwise, they get too crowded and this can lead to aggression! Hope that helps!

Kirstie said:
With regards to how many fish to put in your tank, I was told, when I started my tank, that there should be a gallon for every inch of fish. Say, for example, you have 2 inch fish, then you should only put in 10. If you have 1 inch fish or less, put in 20 or more. Otherwise, they get too crowded and this can lead to aggression! Hope that helps!
Oh hell no. Who told you that? By that measure, we could have a 10" fish in a 10G aquarium! :no:

I find a good guide to be 2.5cm's, or 1", of fish length for every 64cm, or 10", of squared surface area in relation to oxygen.

The best you can do in regards to space is to assess each fish you buy individually on how much room they require.

i have heard that also, but as a guesstimate. you would have to use a little common sense. 5 - 2" fish in a 10 gallon ok, 1 - 10" fish in a ten gallon and he has no room to move.

one thing i thin is wrong with her remark is that overstocking leads to higher levels of aggression. overstocking can help to calm down the aggression level of the fish. mbuna are a point in example. a few fish and the aggression s higher than in a tank where it is overstocked.

maggie

It can only be applied to oxygen supply tho, unfortunately. You really can't set a general rule for fish when it comes to required room. That depends from fish to fish.

Can you keep male betta's with several females? I have been told that they should only be together for breeding they immediately seperated and for them to be seperated at all times...Females can be together in a community tank once a pecking order has been established.
I should post this in the betta bowl but saw the topic come up here.

Most reactions

Back