COMON PELCO

Globel

Reaction score
I got a baby one about 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch in my 5 gallon fan tail tank I plan on moving him into my 100 gallon once he gets a lil bigger but do you think he has already moved to the diet of fish skin and fish eyes? I found a dead femail but it wasent eaten but white stuff was ovr her stomach all other fish are heathy and this happen over night

I have never had a Pl*co do that.......I started with a 1/2" one that is now over 6" (among others that I have raised and sold).

It's VERY possible the fish died for other reasons, and Pl*co simply munched on the dead body. THAT I know they will do, but they are relatively peaceful fish. Not carnivores.

You may have the pl*co confused with Chinese algae eaters. They are supposed to be quite nasty as they get larger. I've got 3 good size pl*cos in a tank with a bunch of platys, adults as well as fry. They get along fine.

Tolak

Plecos are algae eaters, but not the algae eater you're thinking of. Chinese Algae Eaters eat other fish once they get older, but Plecos stick to their diet of algae, plant matter and sunken food.

I've had a few plecos over the years and they won't kill a fish but they will definitely munch on one that is already dead in the tank. :huh:

Most reactions

Back