Community tank ideas

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Erica27

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for some tank ideas, right now I have a community tank and I have a snakeskin gourami, 4 rainbow fish, pearl skin gourami and 2 apistagramas. They are in a 70 gallon so that means I still have about half a tank of room. I really want some angle fish with them or possibly a leopard bush fish. I just want big fish that aren’t to aggressive. No small filler fish! Any ideas or thoughts?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the general hardness (GH) and pH and temperature of the water?

No leopard bush fish in community tanks.

What species of rainbowfish do you have?
Rainbowfish prefer to be in groups of at least 6 or more. try to keep them in even numbers of males and females and keep them similar sized so the big males don't bully the smaller ones.

Rainbowfish do best in water with a GH above 150ppm and a pH above 7.0. They also need plant matter in their diet. Duckweed is worth growing in a tub outdoors and you add a handful to the tank each week for the fish to eat.

The other fishes you mentioned come from soft water (GH less than 150ppm) with a slightly acidic pH (below 7.0).

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the general hardness (GH) and pH and temperature of the water?

No leopard bush fish in community tanks.

What species of rainbowfish do you have?
Rainbowfish prefer to be in groups of at least 6 or more. try to keep them in even numbers of males and females and keep them similar sized so the big males don't bully the smaller ones.

Rainbowfish do best in water with a GH above 150ppm and a pH above 7.0. They also need plant matter in their diet. Duckweed is worth growing in a tub outdoors and you add a handful to the tank each week for the fish to eat.

The other fishes you mentioned come from soft water (GH less than 150ppm) with a slightly acidic pH (below 7.0).
I’m not completely sure about the detentions I can measure it later, but I do know the width is 18, it’s a very tall tank. I’m unsure of the hardness because every time I get my water tested they say to keep it hard because where I live every local fish store keeps the water hard because that’s the only water in our town. But they always say the fish get used to the hardness so if you changed it to being soft water they wouldn’t be able to adjust well. And the ph is also high but they say the same thing, that out rap is just high so to keep it higher, because that’s what there used to. (This has been multiple stores and people who have said this) for the no leopard bush fish, my lfs always said that it can be kept with any fish that can’t fit in there mouth, and is very peaceful fish.
I have 3 boeseman and 1 other one I cant remeber the name, but they are all around the same size, the fish is read and white more tried on the fins, white on the body. I’m unsure of the boy and girl ratio.
I really just want big fish for the tank so if you have any ideas I would love to hear!!

If you contact your water supply company via telephone or website, they should have the GH and pH for you.

If you post pictures of the rainbowfish I will try to ID them for you. Set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting so the images fit on this site.

The following link has more info on rainbowfish.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Agree with Colin. And given the information you indicate in post #3 that was given to you by your fish store staff, I would not accept anything they say without confirmation/research.

For example, the bush fish...this species absolutely cannot be kept with anything just because of size. This species is extremely timid, and requires a very quiet tank with no active fish, lots of plants including floating, because it is an ambush predator. The active rainbowfish (depending the species) would not work with this species, and it should also not be combined with gourami or cichlids.

As for water chemistry, this is a very complex subject and the fish store employees likely do not have all that accurate a grasp of it, or they may think it too complicated to explain to customers. Their advice to somehow harden the water to match the stores is very inaccurate and misleading. For one thing, temporary store water may or may not harm fish, but permanent parameters that are substantially different from what the species requires is a very different matter. Ascertain the GH, KH and pH of your source water from the water authority and then select fish suited to that water; this can save a lot of stress on you as well as the fish that have to live in it.

Most reactions

Back