Mollies x 4 possibly more
Bristlenose Plec x2
Some Cory's not Sure what type x panda and weitzmani + one other type
different Tetra's larger columbian etc maybe 20 or so
Rasbora's x Lots

Now Rams, a few questions I have please
better in a male female pair?
Are they easy to sex and would a good LFS be ok doing that
Are we better adding sooner rather than later do they can claim there cave/territory?
My pH is 6.8 that's ok for them right
My kH is 1 (daft test that one) so water is very soft
Are there any other small placid south american cichlids we should consider

Cheers
JOHNNY

so far this is what were planning for our 180 ltr tank
Mollies x 4 possibly more
Bristlenose Plec x2
Some Cory's not Sure what type x panda and weitzmani + one other type
different Tetra's larger columbian etc maybe 20 or so
Rasbora's x Lots
You may want to rethink as its only a 55g id do something more like this
4 mollies 1m 3fm
2 Bristlenose Plecs (make sure 1m 1fm)
get only one/two species of corys and make sure each specie has a group numbr of 5
get only 10 columbian tetras
and 10 rasboras
then a pair of rams.

better in a male female pair?
Yes, males will fight for territory then so will females. best toget 1 male 1 female.

Are they easy to sex and would a good LFS be ok doing that
they are easy to sex, a good lfs will b easily able to sex them

Are we better adding sooner rather than later do they can claim there cave/territory?
i would add them last, as if first could want to rule the whole tank. but if added last they wil take small territory.

My pH is 6.8 that's ok for them right, My kH is 1 (daft test that one) so water is very soft
Perfect Ph :) everything is fine.

Are there any other small placid south american cichlids we should consider
you may like the Apistos, or maybe a different pair of rams (blue/gold/bolvian), maybe some keyholes.

Good luck, hope this helps,
Cona

Thanks for that very helpful.

Forgot to say the tank is well planted and has double filtration one internal Juwel and a Fluval 305, as I was planning on overstocking anyway, is the tank big enough for 2 pairs of chichlids say 1 pair bolivians and one pair blue rams

Cheers
JOHNNY

Thanks for that very helpful.

Forgot to say the tank is well planted and has double filtration one internal Juwel and a Fluval 305, as I was planning on overstocking anyway, is the tank big enough for 2 pairs of chichlids say 1 pair bolivians and one pair blue rams

Cheers
JOHNNY

Nope, only one pair, you may get away with it then you might not but 20g is reccomended for 1 pair, so that means 40g for 2 pairs. but i think it may work, buy 2 males 2 female see what happens if it goes badly then return one pair.

I have a pair of Blues and a pair of Bolvians in a 29 gallon tank with no issues whatsoever. They pretty much ignore each other.

-Darke

Since been doing some research about other fish in the community, I'm not looking at taking the temp to about 24c, and the rams seem to prefer warmer than this. Are there any other peaceful community cichlids that will be ok at that temp?.

Cheers
JOHNNY

Most reactions

Back