Coldwater Plants

Myuu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am taking care of a fish tank at school and I wanted to add a splash of color with some plants. I need some hardy plants becuase it is a lo-tech tank and doesn't really have any plant stuff. I don't know what the lighting is atm, but I knoe it get some sun durring the day.

DIY c02 isn't really an option becuase it's a 75 gallon fish tank. I don't thing any of the fish are herbavoires, except maybe the pleco (other fish are white crappie). I could probably get some root tabs if I needed to. So far the plants that have come up in my searches are tiger lotuses, and probably java moss/fern. Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Is there a thermometer on the tank? If it is inside then it may well be warm enough so that coldwater specific plants are not essential.

Things like elodea and cabomba are likely OK, elodea can be planted in ponds so it will be fine in an indoor coldwater tank.

Slight note is that plec's are not really coldwater fish, they don't often live a long life in an unheated aquarium...

I know that plecs aren't really coldwater fish. I don't think I could get my teacher to move him :/ He seems big and healthy though. There is no thermometer, but by touch I think it's around 70-75 degrees, not sure though. I'll have to go buy a thermometer...

And doesn't cabomba need high light?

Probably, but some high light plants just don't grow as well in less light, but they can grow. Always had cabomba in my unlit tanks years ago, it didn't do much but it did live!

Ok, I'll put cabomba on my list of plants, I also wanted to get some for my tropical tank at home. Any other hardy plants?

Ok, I'll put cabomba on my list of plants, I also wanted to get some for my tropical tank at home. Any other hardy plants?

Take cabomba off your list if you have hard water, unless you are absolutely certain that you have Cabomba caroliniana, then you still need more light. There are three varieties commonly seen in the trade, and they are often mixed up and sold together. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but cabomba has only done well for me in soft water and high light conditions. It does not take to being pruned well, in my experience.

Cabomba aquatica: Very difficult to grow, a bright green, needs high light, soft water.
Cabomba piauhyensis: Difficult as well, purpleish, needs high light, soft water.
Cabomba caroliniana: Easier, still needs high light to thrive, will do well in harder water, a darker green.

Here are some easy plants in this link that may do well in the conditions you have.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;#entry1382934

Most reactions

Back