Co2

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Montydog

Reaction score
Hi, again!
I've been looking around at different co2 units as a have been told and have read many times that for a successful planted aquarium you need co2 blah blah blah...
I don't have the $$$ for anything special but I did find this-
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/plant-care-c02-units-fertiliser-hardware/ista-c02-equipment/co2-disposable-supply-set/prod_1308.html
Is it good? How long will it last before I need to change the cartridge? Will it be enough to grow carpet plants?
Tank size is 3ft 145L, lights are 2x39W t5HO
Thanks

95Grams really wont last long, there are some plants that you can create a carpet with such as various mosses and Riccia, but most wont spread on their own, you can have a successful planted set up with no CO2, ultimately it depends on what you want to grow, if you want the likes of HC, then CO2 will be a good route to follow, DIY fire extinguisher set ups are generally good value for money, and the gas cylinders can be refilled.

Hmm could a DIY setup be suffianct to carpet glosso or hc? How long would 95G or 1L last?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

On a 145L, a week or two, a DIY yeast set up on a tank this size isn't feasible but a DIY Fire Extinguisher set up would be fine.

Ok thanks for all your help again standbysetting!

Hey one more question, the basic co2 kit that I first mentioned, could you hook up a 1L co2 canister to it?http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/plant-care-c02-units-fertiliser-hardware/ista-c02-equipment/aluminum-co2-cylinder-1l/prod_1306.html
If so would it be possible to carpet plants like hc and glosso ?
Thanks

Probably not, the thread looks to be the wrong size and that regulator is for those tanks only.

Hmm the diy FE is to expensive, had a look and only the FE is $150 ! The simple co2 kit costs $10 per 95G bottle, not to bad but would be a pain and expensive in the long run. Could E.tenellus or hair grass carpet with the current setup withought co2? The ferzts I will use include
Seachem/flourish excel/trace/iron/nitrogen
Thanks

You'll struggle without CO2, you could try running it with one tube, E.tenellus will generally do ok in a low tech set up, but growth will be slow, hair grass will do best with CO2, it may grow without, but growth may be leggy.

Do you not have the option of running the tank with only one of the tubes illuminated?

Well you could run one and get away without using CO2, just choose appropriate plants, and dose your fertilisers normally.

Most reactions

Back