Co2 Systems.

hedgehog738

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i am wanting a good CO2 system. do you know any good ones but that are not too expencive and where do they sell these ones. for a 250L tank. most of the ones on ebay are from hong kong, would you trust them?
thanks george.

hi i am wanting a good CO2 system. do you know any good ones but that are not too expencive and where do they sell these ones. for a 250L tank. most of the ones on ebay are from hong kong, would you trust them?
thanks george.

You will need pressurized CO2.
I trust the ones from Germany. I would send a link but it's against the forum rules. So, go on ebay, and search the user "aquarianerversand". They have very good, non-expensive complete CO2 systems.

I bought myself the entry level Red Sea reactor kit. What it comes down to is that it is way too much money for what you get, but at the same time it's easy, comes with everything you need. Anyway, my tank is 20 gallons (about 75 litres?) and it keeps my co2 levels at 20 - 15. Although they say it should last 2 to 4 weeks, I find I need to do it every week to keep from levels sinking below where I want them.

Luckily their "refills" are nothing more than yeast and sugar, so it is still cheap.

Your tank is quite a bit bigger and to make it more you would surely need two of them. A better idea might be to look at the DYI options online, you can use a standard plastic pop bottle as the reactor, and a small powerhead, or even a canister filter output, to disperse the gas.

Obviously a co2 tank with all the goodies is the superior option, but it ain't cheap. Biological reactors work just fine for us poorer folks.

I bought myself the entry level Red Sea reactor kit. and it keeps my co2 levels at 20 - 15.

How are you calculating that?
On large tanks, DIY CO2 is very poor because it won't produce enough CO2. Even on medium tanks I don't advise it becuase the CO2 bubble rate changes often which in turn causes unstability. This usually results in BBA or staghorn algae.
llj, our mod here, has good results with DIY on small tanks though.

Well, to be honest I'm using a co2 tester. I know they are not 100% but I've also compared it to water straight out of the tap as well as another, non-planted aquarium. I think the results seem pretty good.

I have actually found it to be rather stable, though obviously not as consistent as a tank would be - the decline is gradual though, and the reason why I mix a new batch every week is to keep it from dropping too far.

I can see your point about large tanks, but I don't see why a bigger reactor can't help, and even if the user can't quite reach "optimum" levels he can certainly keep them higher than with nothing at all, assuming he can't afford a pressurized setup. I'm not arguing with you since I've never tried it on a medium sized tank myself, just musing.

I swapped to the red sea reactor a week ago after I picked up a bargain, I got the 1 pack with all the gubbins in for £30 and a second reactor for nothing as all the stuff had been pinched out of the box. I was using 2 Hagen reactors with the bubble ladder and tbh didn't see any difference after a month. The missus won't let me use a pressurised cylinder in the room where our main tank is due to little people. I have had the red sea one running for a week with 2 reactors connected to 1 bubble deffuser and I can honestly say that I'm really impressed. I'm even getting pearling from my swords and wendilov. You do have to place it under the filter outlet though as I have found there to be a lot of loss of bubbles if not. Btw my main tank is 50g.

i have had a look at the german ones on ebay thanks radaR but i cant read german so ill have to gauess or click he ones that say CO2.

Most reactions

Back