Co2 Hardware

michaelwgroves

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm looking at injecting CO2 into my 900 litre tank.

I have a 6KG cylinder from the local pub and I now need the rest of the kit, I have read a lot of articles in the US about the JBL and Milwaukee regulators and these really seem to be good, but I have not found any articles about the Dennerle or Aqua-Medic Regulators. Another contender and much cheaper option would be a generic regulator and separate bubble counter.
Has anyone had any experience of regulators that could offer some advice?

Options for PH Monitors appear to be Milwaukee and Dennerle?

The Aqua-Medic 1000 appears to be the only external reactor large enough to cope?

If anyone has setup a large CO2 system, I would welcome your comments and experiences.

Hi,

Always happy to help someone from Hawkhurst, I grew up near Roberstbridge :)

You could get a reg by aquamedic, but me and several other people have found the generic ones from a German seller on ebay to be excellent and lots cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Doppelmanometer-...oQQcmdZViewItem

And a cheap bubble counter from the person at the same time :) this is the set up I have, two in fact :)

The only problem I can see with your tank is that being so large, you might struggle to get enough CO2 to dissolve into the tank. If it were me I would want at least two diffusers perhaps at either end of the tank, or pump the CO2 directly into the filter or both filters if you have two. That should help get the Co2 around the tank.

IMHO dont bother with a pH controller I haven't herd very good things about them and you're better off spending the money on something else, like better light or a third Co2 diffuser. There is also always the possibility that the probe will come out of the tank and then the thing will pump CO2 into the tank like its going out of fashion, and with disastrous consequences.

Sam

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can recommend this reactor:

http://www.aquamas.net/product_info.php?in...e06dd9187982c9c

Like Sam says, don`t bother with the pH controller. Get a CO2 drop checker instead.

I have a JBL regulator which is OK, but the needle valve adjustment is way too coarse. I also use the Aquamas regulator, but this has dumped the CO2 in to my tank when the CO2 cylinder has run low, so the Luna Pet might be better.

Dave.

Thanks guys for your comments.

Sam, I guess you sailed out of Robersbridge on the last flood, although the flood defenses are better now!

An eBay Regulator was my first choice, but as this is an area which I do not want to take any chances and have little knowledge I'm leaning towards known brands. However, who's to say there any better?

I took a look at the Reactor, I've seen someone else with one of these, glad I now know where to get them. Although my German is not up to much, so you might need to translate. I'm intrigued what the bypass pipe is for?

129_0.jpg

I'll look at your suggestions in detail and revert.

Lived just outside Robersbridge, in Salehurst, opposite the pub :beer: ;) so wasn't affected by the floods, but yes better defences now, at last!

I used to get branded goods on the premise that you know your getting something good, but its not always the case. The regs from the German guy are excellent, I would never get a branded reg now.

Can't say Ive tried the reactors but that idea seems sounds.

Sam

Okay, I've done my research; the easy bit is the reactor and solenoid valve. With a 900 litre tank my options were limited on the reactor, so I have decided on the Aqua-Medic Reactor 1000, best price I have is £35.00 from www.co2-canisters.com in the US or £41.99 from www.AquaticBioTope.co.uk in the UK.

There was more choice on the Solenoid Valve, but again I have gone with Aqua-Medic M-Ventil Pulse which uses less than 1 watt on the switching process and adds no heating effect. Best price on this is £58.99 again from www.AquaticBioTope.co.uk in the UK.

There was lots of choice with the regulators, Dennerle & Aqua-Medic @ £64.99 in UK, Deltec @ £51.99 also in UK. I Also considered quality unbranded units at £28.99 in UK. Then looked at US, The JBJ and Milwaukee look to me to be better quality and only cost £40 including Bubble counters from www.co2-canisters.com

Finally the PH Monitor, Dennerle & Aquamedic both do them @ £224.00 UK & £149.99 UK respectively, but you can get the Milwaukee SMS122 for only £44.36 from US www.co2-canisters.com. Unless I am missing something, it does exactly the same job as the other two, but at a fraction of the cost.

So my wish list, is a JBJ Regulator and SM122 Combo, co's you get fluid and CO2 pipe thrown in at a further reduced price and the Aqua-Medic Reactor 1000 and M-Ventil pulse valve from the US.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious here, co's they look better quality for a lot less money. You might say delivery, and I need to confirm this, but I started to place an order to see what the delivery would be and it's zero, no honestly zero...........

So unless someone can show me the error of my ways, or suggest a cheaper site, I think I'm gonna put an order in next week.

These are the items in question, what do you think?
Aqua_Medic_20CO2_20Reactor_201000_Sml.jpgAqua_Medic_20Shut_Off_20CO2_20Pulse_20Valve.jpgjbjregonly.jpg

I bought the Aqua-Medic Reactor 1000 for my 270L tank. Building work has stopped me setting up yet but from what I read up on it (and the LFS comments) is a very good reactor.

As for the PH monitor. I'm unsure what the differnce or risk with a cheap on is.

As for the PH monitor. I'm unsure what the differnce or risk with a cheap on is.

Cheap..........., this has many meanings, I guess you are refering to the quality?
If this is the case I disagree, Milwaukee from my research seems to be the number one for Aquarium equipment in the US, okay the accuracy is ± 0.2 pH, comparred to Dennrle @ ± 0.1 pH, but this is not a concern.
They both have a 2 year warranty on elecronics.
Milwaukee also seems to be a fair sized company as well, check out thier web site

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/

I'm just surprised nobody has thought to import them into the UK, or have they?

Unless Im mistaken, that reg comes with a solenoid built in so you dont need to get a seperate one :)

Sam

yep that pic already has the solenoid screwed into the reg so wouldn't need another one.

Andy

I wondered what the lead hanging off the regulator was for, wicked........Yet another saving.

Thanks for pointing that out guys

Damn, after finding the seemingly pefect gear, I'm now strugling to get hold of a UK spec JBJ Regulator and Milwaukee SMS122.

Does anyone know where I can buy these in the UK, as the US ones are 110V ?

The american regs use a different connection to the CO2 cylinder so will be useless here.

Pasted this in from the Team Onslaught webpage:

Throughout the world, carbon dioxide cylinder valves have a special thread. In Europe, Africa and much of Australasia, the thread conforms to British Standard 341 Part 1 (.860 in x 1/14 in W) or the direct European equivalent (DIN 477, SN 219505, etc). These threads are in effect interchangeable.

British BS341 No. 8 European DIN 477 No. 6 and SN 219505 Type 7
French NF E 29-650 Type C Australian AS2473 Type 30

America CGA 320 and Japanese JIS B 8246 CO2 threads are different and are not compatible with each other nor with British/European CO2 threads).

James

EDIT: Just noticed it says this as well so not all is lost - Want to use your U.S. Regulator on a European bottle?...Simply unscrew the stem and replace the nut. A regulator nut to fit the European thread can be obtained from www.weldability.com part no:- DACO2NUT

Just to add the Aqua Medic 1000 reactor uses 12mm tube connectors which will cause quite a restriction if you have a filter with 16mm or larger tubing. The ebay reactor mentioned earlier has 16mm connections. I use one of these and think the functionality and quality is second to none.

James

Most reactions

Back