Co2 Diffusers, And The Nutrafin Nat Co2 System

re_hashed

Reaction score
Just questioning the ideal 'ladder' position for the Nutrafin Nat Co2 System.

I've got one, and it's up and running A-ok (using the sachets that came with the product as they sent me 2 packs for free), but I just want to check that I'm getting the optimum performance from it.

I get bubbles coming from it, there seems to be a little problem at the 'bottom right' of the ladder where about 3~4 bubbles combine into one larger bubble and then it starts moving up the ladder. Back-forth, back-forth, back-forth, then 'pop' out the top it comes.

Is this really ok? How's this actaully doing anything? Just this bubble going up the ladder then popping at the surface. I think that the bubble does get smaller on it's way up though, so that's a good thing yeah.

Should I position it by the filter outlet, so the Co2 gets blasted around the tank, or is the movement up the ladder sufficient to disperse the C02 into the water?

One problem that I'm getting is that as soon as a bubble is released my Guppies, and occasional Neon get really excited and follow the bubble up the ladder trying to eat it. They ofter find themselves trapped behind the ladder unit between the glass and the ladder. I've only had to manually free one as they seem to find their way out by themselves eventually.

If I were to get a ceramic/glass diffuser, then I'd just connect this to the end of the air-line from the cannister and place it in my tank, simple as that is it, or do they really only get decent results if I'm using a pressurised system.

I was thinking of something like this:

cb901pw1.jpg

or this:

spioviiiui0wo4.jpg

Would either of these be ok to hook up onto my Nutrafin system?

Cheers

Just questioning the ideal 'ladder' position for the Nutrafin Nat Co2 System.

I've got one, and it's up and running A-ok (using the sachets that came with the product as they sent me 2 packs for free), but I just want to check that I'm getting the optimum performance from it.

I get bubbles coming from it, there seems to be a little problem at the 'bottom right' of the ladder where about 3~4 bubbles combine into one larger bubble and then it starts moving up the ladder. Back-forth, back-forth, back-forth, then 'pop' out the top it comes.

Is this really ok? How's this actaully doing anything? Just this bubble going up the ladder then popping at the surface. I think that the bubble does get smaller on it's way up though, so that's a good thing yeah.

Should I position it by the filter outlet, so the Co2 gets blasted around the tank, or is the movement up the ladder sufficient to disperse the C02 into the water?

One problem that I'm getting is that as soon as a bubble is released my Guppies, and occasional Neon get really excited and follow the bubble up the ladder trying to eat it. They ofter find themselves trapped behind the ladder unit between the glass and the ladder. I've only had to manually free one as they seem to find their way out by themselves eventually.

If I were to get a ceramic/glass diffuser, then I'd just connect this to the end of the air-line from the cannister and place it in my tank, simple as that is it, or do they really only get decent results if I'm using a pressurised system.

I was thinking of something like this:

cb901pw1.jpg

or this:

spioviiiui0wo4.jpg

Would either of these be ok to hook up onto my Nutrafin system?

Cheers

Sorry i cant answer your question but ill follow this thread with great interest as ive ordered this product myself!

place the bubbles rising beneatht the filter outlet so it will blast them around the tank. it will mean the bubbles are in the water and diffusing. the glass diffusers are good but do need regular maintenance.

Powered diffuser is the other option...it blasts water through a pump and then the air goes into the pump and comes out as tiny bubbles and gets blasted around the tank from its own pump.

The bubbles sohuld be small...large bubbles will just rise to the surface really quickly...so it wont work as well

I know it works with small diffusers as i have had success with a home made cannister and a CO2 diffuser. You are in luck though as today i just set up a new tank with a nutrafin canister and a large ceramic diffuser. Hope it works :$ I'll post if it works with the larger ones hopefully in afew hours or not at all if it does not work

Tick tock, Tick tock. C'mon then what's the score? I'm itching to find out, need to order one off e-bay before I leave work for the day :)

If it does work then if you could let me know the name of the one that you're using then that'll be tops.

You say that you know that it works with small diffusers, like what type ?? If you could give me a brand that'd be great, as I've looked at picture after picture and I can't really tell if they're small or large.

I'll mess around with mine tonight, try and get rid of my 'bubble build up' on the first run of the ladder, and move the ladder so that the outlett of the filter can blast the final bubble around the tank.

thanks

What Filter do you have? if it's big enough then I wouldn't even bother with diffusers unless you like the look of the glassware in your tank. Simply feed the airline from the CO2 source into the inlet of your filter and have the filter act as your diffuser, it's very very affective and won't cost you any more money :good:

What Filter do you have? if it's big enough then I wouldn't even bother with diffusers unless you like the look of the glassware in your tank. Simply feed the airline from the CO2 source into the inlet of your filter and have the filter act as your diffuser, it's very very affective and won't cost you any more money :good:

Im confused. How do you do that? I have the Juwel Rio 125L. Its a large filter as standard

I've only got a fluval 4 internal filter. As far as I'm aware it doesn't have an 'inlet', it just draws the water through the sides and blasts it out the front.

It DOES however have something called a venturi connector. It's like a little adaptor that you push into the outlet, connect a small length of air line to the top, and it draws external air into the output of the fliter which causes more of a tiny bubble/water outlet flow rather than a constant water flow without this connector.

I did think of doing this, but as it's physically 'sucking' the external air and drawing it into the output flow then I can't help but think that as the Co2 cannister is sealed then it'll suck out nearly all the Co2 pretty instantly, then maybe proceed in sucking the mixture out of the cannister and blasting that around my tank. Eventually it'll stop and there will be no more air to draw out of the cannister as it would have created a vacume.

Whaddya think ??

I am a fan of glass ceramic diffusors and use the Rhinox 2000 (used to use it on Nutrafin and was great) with my pressurised.

If I remember rightly the Fluval outflow has another side shoot with a cap in it, which you could use to put the Co2 into and then the bubble will exit directly in the path of the high speed water and be blasted into the tank. ~Even better if you add the fluval spray bar the small holes would mash the bubble even smaller.

andy

I got this one a couple of weeks ago(its a rhinox 2000 from aqua essentials) it works great with my nutrafin, i would also recommend using a diy mix instead of the sachets cause it works much better
rhinox.jpg

(great minds think alike supercoley i must have posted at same time :lol: )
Regards Angel

I got this one a couple of weeks ago(its a rhinox 2000 from aqua essentials) it works great with my nutrafin, i would also recommend using a diy mix instead of the sachets cause it works much better
rhinox.jpg

Regards Angel

What is the "recipe" for the mix you use

rhinox.jpg

Regards Angel

What is the "recipe" for the mix you use

I use sugar to the first line, a little over 1/2tsp yeast, and water to the second line. As of now I haven't used any baking soda because my ph seems to drop no more than .5 bringing my ph from 7.2 to 6.7. Nothing major.

Tick tock, Tick tock. C'mon then what's the score? I'm itching to find out, need to order one off e-bay before I leave work for the day :)

If it does work then if you could let me know the name of the one that you're using then that'll be tops.

You say that you know that it works with small diffusers, like what type ?? If you could give me a brand that'd be great, as I've looked at picture after picture and I can't really tell if they're small or large.

I'll mess around with mine tonight, try and get rid of my 'bubble build up' on the first run of the ladder, and move the ladder so that the outlett of the filter can blast the final bubble around the tank.

thanks
The larger one works fine. However, i needed to add another canister to it to get that one working. The pressure is immense so silicone the ends.

This looks like the small one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nano-Co2-diffuser-Li...VQQcmdZViewItem

The big one i have atm is no longer for sale, but this is what it looked like:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250078072885

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back