CO2 diffuser, works too!

Stryker

Fishaholic
Reaction score
See the pic below. I used an idea I found on the net, except I used a power head to stir things up, it works a treat. Thats one of those 2 litre squash bottles. There is a window cut out either side (you can see it by looking at the ridges).

Now, its one of those bottles with a handle in it thats part of its content, aww you know the type, it was a johnsons blackcurrent squash bottle. That handle is supperb! as the CO2 goes in the handle gives the flow of water somewhere to go hence flow. The picture does not show it but its a vortex of bubbles in there.

Initialy I added a big "burp" of co2 into the bottle to ensure the gas did not escape. And paint me yellow if that CO2 did not disolve into the water inside of 2 mins!

Just thought I'd share this, I'm using diy yeast based CO2 generation.

diff1.jpg

Owing to some sick plati I'm having to massively aireate my tank at the moment, hower I'm still showing a rise in CO2 in the water. I'm very impressed. The brew is doing superb now I used yeast nutrient.

Personally I used the classic CO2 tube setup. Using two containers connected to a valve so I can control the speed of the CO2 and shut them off when needed. Then I have the main tube going to the intake valve of my filter. Then I have air bubbles on the other side of my 55 gal to keep the PH just around 7.0. :)

I thought about doing it that way, however with the yest brew method I did not want to use a valve as there is a risk of explosion. I also wanted to make the best of the limited CO2 it produces.

Its working very well at this time.

Thats why I have a sump pal ;)

That thing is in the sump down the bottom out of the way, along with all the heaters and internal filters.

Just so you people know.... those bottles can handle a lot of pressure. I had one set up to a air compressor once and it was about 180+ PSI inside. It was a firm bottle but it didnt break.

Just FYI :D

I'm at about 10ppm CO2 at the moment, and thats with loads of aireation (owing to having to use tank meds at this time).

Stryker said:
Thats why I have a sump pal ;)

That thing is in the sump down the bottom out of the way, along with all the heaters and internal filters.
ahh very clever! kind of wondered why anyone would want that in there main tank :lol:

Wouldn't be too bad if you hid it with some plants, but seeing as it's in your sump, no problemo! Very creative work, thanks for sharing... ;)

hey stryker is there any chance of a pic or two of your co2 system and how you conected the tube to the lid because im thinking about making one but dont know were to start :) thnx

Yeaulman said:
Just so you people know.... those bottles can handle a lot of pressure. I had one set up to a air compressor once and it was about 180+ PSI inside. It was a firm bottle but it didnt break.

Just FYI :D
That's the problem. There's about 300ml of airspace in a yeast bottle; it doesn't take too long for that to build up to high pressures, at which point the bottle will rupture, spraying its contents everywhere.

I actually bought a Aqua medic 500 diffuser yesturday - Fantastic bit of kit.

OK it cost a bit (£30) BUT i havent seen a single bit of wasted co2 leave the diffuser!

And this is with a bubble rate of about 30bpm :D

It looks really neat too.

Most reactions

Back