Co2 Cannister Refilling - Where!

nodding_dino

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, I thought this was going to be REALLY straightforward, but am struggling to find anywhere that will either refill or exchange the CO2 cannister. A few places provide tanks by other manufacturers, but will these be OK with the dennerle fitments?

Anyone have any experience of this?

I'm getting a lot of replies like 'oh we used too' or 'whats CO2 for?' :blink:

Any help appreciated!

Most Maidenhead Aquatic outlets swap your empties for full cylinders. They stock JBLs mainly but these are identical to the Dennerle.

You have two in Northampton, I've actually swapped mine in the Harlestone Heath branch before - £9. Just phone up to ensure they have some in stock.

You may even get lucky and get my old Dennerle cylinder!

On the same point, I've found somewhere that deals in providing CO2 for industry etc.

They said that they'd refill my little Dennerle bottle (when I buy it that is!) for a fiver but that I could buy a bigger bottle off them, that would obviously last a lot longer for quite cheap and just swop it.

The guy reckoned the CO2 fittings are pretty standard across the board, but I was just wondering has anyone tried to use any 'non-aquarium' industry bottles on their aquarium industry valves etc and had any problems with fit etc?

On the same point, I've found somewhere that deals in providing CO2 for industry etc.

They said that they'd refill my little Dennerle bottle (when I buy it that is!) for a fiver but that I could buy a bigger bottle off them, that would obviously last a lot longer for quite cheap and just swop it.

The guy reckoned the CO2 fittings are pretty standard across the board, but I was just wondering has anyone tried to use any 'non-aquarium' industry bottles on their aquarium industry valves etc and had any problems with fit etc?
What did you look under in the Yellow Pages? What company is it exactly?

In know zig uses a big "non-aquarium" bottle and the guys in the US commonly have 5lb and 10lb bottles.

i know a guy who ran a pub and used the co2 bottles from the brewery. They were almost impossible to lift when filled, and he has had it for a year now still going. not sure if he turns it off at night. PLUS free fill up when he wants courtesy of Scottish and Newcastle !!

My tank is a 'non-aquarium' tank. I got it from a welding shop. I also got my regulator there. I just had to buy an adaptor that went from the 1' nozzel down to the size of the airline tubing. Apart from the leak I always have around my inline fine needle control valve, I have no issues.

For filling, I found the store in my city that does all the re-filling of fire extinguishers. They do it on the spot which is nice. I just take the empty tank with me to work, and get it filled on my way home.

Over here the best place to look is fire extinguisher suppliers a lot of them do CO2 refills. Just bring your regulator with you and see if it will fit on a standard CO2 cylinder, save you a lot of cash and inconvienience in the long run if you get a bigger cylinder, a 2kg or 5kg cylinder is a neat size suitable for home setups and will usually tuck nicely under the tank out of view.

[/quote]
What did you look under in the Yellow Pages? What company is it exactly?

In know zig uses a big "non-aquarium" bottle and the guys in the US commonly have 5lb and 10lb bottles.
[/quote]

Looked under 'Bottled Gas and Equipment'. I don't know whether they're just a North Wales company or not.

I think I'll just get the Dennerle set (when finances allow!) and then have a look at their bottles when I go for a refill to see if they fit the Dennerle valves.

Sound like the bottles from these 'Non Aquarium' use gas suppliers are a heck of a lot cheaper than the branded ones in the aquarium industry, and bigger too.

I guess it just comes down fit, and whether you want a nice little bottle that fits under your tank or a whopping great big torpedo like object in your living room! :D

My tank is a 'non-aquarium' tank. I got it from a welding shop. I also got my regulator there. I just had to buy an adaptor that went from the 1' nozzel down to the size of the airline tubing. Apart from the leak I always have around my inline fine needle control valve, I have no issues.

For filling, I found the store in my city that does all the re-filling of fire extinguishers. They do it on the spot which is nice. I just take the empty tank with me to work, and get it filled on my way home.

cant you stop the leak? you must lose alot of gas!!

yeah ignore me i just read you post!!!

Is there not a problem with using these weilding CO2 bottles, as I thought the ones used for aqu's need to be the "food safe" ones.

Most reactions

Back