Co2 And Algea

sid_zie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi.

Basically, my tank is starting to fill up with algea - i know you guys all told me it would. But now i'm thinking of adding CO2 and i was wondering if i added some sort of Co2 system now, will it get rid of the algea, or will the algea just stay there?

I was thinking about going the nutrafin kit way, i have a 15-16G tank, with erm.... 2.4 WPG, it's 2* 18W t5 10000k lights. (It the orca TL-450, so i think i should be able to find space for the diffuser in the back somewhere) and i have Eco Complete as the substrate. And it's currently looking rather like a jungle. Would the nutrafin kit be a good way to go? And what sort of tests need to be performed to manage a CO2 level?

Thanks in advance

Sid

As far as know and its only from what ive read CO2 WONT STOP ALGAE, i think you need to read the pinned thread on algae. Best of luck
By the way by using co2 your plants should grow better and hopefully outstrip the algae

Thanks John

Doh, once again i have completely missed a pinned thread answering exactly what i want. You're right, it doesn't stop algea growing, but the idea is it helps my current plants to grow and they out compete the algea for nutrients, making it more difficult for algea to grow.
So i think i'll get a nutrafin kit up and running, and slowly trim off any plant leaves that have a lot of algea on (or remove plants completely if neccessary) and replace them with new plants, preferably more fast growing plants. (It will also give me a chance to do a little bit of re-aqua scaping)

Sid

I am interested in whether or not CO2 could help my algae situation.

I have a fairly new tank and it is covered in algae. At present I am running with the standard Juwel lighting at about 1.2 WPG.

I have loads of cabomba and vallis but still the algae goes mad.

Would CO2 be a help in this situation?

I am interested in whether or not CO2 could help my algae situation.
I have a fairly new tank and it is covered in algae. At present I am running with the standard Juwel lighting at about 1.2 WPG.
I have loads of cabomba and vallis but still the algae goes mad.
Would CO2 be a help in this situation?

Hi, I also have a Juwel Rio 125 (check my sig), also depends how many hours you have the lights on and also do you use ferts? How many fish you got, how often you do water changes, etc...

Just to clear it up, CO2 itself doesn't stop algae, all it does is help the plants to grow, this stabilises the water in the tank, which halts algae growth. You then need to remove the affected leaves, but the algae shouldn't come back, providing you maintain the good plant growth.

Sam

Cheers Sam

That's what i figured out after a bit of reading (I guess i should have done the reading first) and I've ordered a nutrafin kit and will see how that goes while replacing algea covered leaves/plants. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back