Co2 - 600g Refills

sophos9

Fish Geek
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to put a CO2 system in my Juwel Vision 180litre tank. I've currently ordered a Hagan natural kit but longer term want something more sustainable.

I've been looking at the D&D kits which have cheap disposable bottles and found that machine mart sell 600g for under a tenner!!

Knowing nothing about this, how long would you expect a 600g co2 bottle to last in a 180 litre tank?

Many thanks... :good:

Ive been using the machine mart "extra" cylinder since May in my 4 footer... despite all the fiddling and loss of gas, its still going strong (wish Id weighed it first ! lol)
Runs at about 1 bubble per 2 seconds up a ladder, and has cut off solenoid connected to lights (this is only a recent addition, often left the gas on over night) until I bought the solenoid, I was using a clamp on the silicon pipe !
All in all VERY cheap gas IMHO

Great news!

Am going to start off with natural and see if it can sustain a level but to be honest, dont want to have to worry about all the mixing and stuff

What regulator do you have?

I just use one that came with my welder ! Its a simple little thing, cost about a tenner from any welding supplier... then I saw a needle valve on ebay for next to nothing, and this makes adjustment a lot easier... but to be honest, when its set its set !
I feed this via silicon airline into a ladder (ebay again) and the plants have gone mad ! :hyper: Well worth the hassle.

Ive been using the machine mart "extra" cylinder since May in my 4 footer... despite all the fiddling and loss of gas, its still going strong (wish Id weighed it first ! lol)
Runs at about 1 bubble per 2 seconds up a ladder, and has cut off solenoid connected to lights (this is only a recent addition, often left the gas on over night) until I bought the solenoid, I was using a clamp on the silicon pipe !

Ive seen alot about machine mart and found them on the web, I have a JBL system with a solenoid, will my current fittings fit on one bought from machine mart ?

Ive seen alot about machine mart and found them on the web, I have a JBL system with a solenoid, will my current fittings fit on one bought from machine mart ?

Not too sure... but a "welding" regulator is only a tenna if it doesnt, but my money is on "NO" because anything meant for the "aquarium" will probably be an oddball fitting - so they can rip you off again and again !
A couple of our local fish shops do refills for 'proper' CO2 kits, £10-15 .... I get a pub bottle for my welder, from a welding supplier, refilled for £8 - and thats 3 feet tall and 6 inch diameter.... must be 100 times more gas in it ! :angry:

thanks, Ive managed to find a local extinguisher company that would refill my 500g bottles but theyve closed down so I need to find something else.

I really want to use a cylinder that fits inside my cabinet so cant have anything too big, but thanks for your reply. I dont mind paying for a new adapter if thats what it takes.......................£10-£12 per 500g is a rip off theres no doubt

paintball co2 canisters will fit under cabinets nicely...but they're only like 24 to 30 oz bottles... if you have a fairly big cabinet you could use canisters made for holding Nitrous Oxide for the automotive stuff i think a 5lbs. bottle would be a good size for that

Most reactions

Back