Clown loaches

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Now this doesn't make me feel very comfortable... I was going to introduce 3 of them in the tank where my bristlenoses spawn. I've asked questions on whether they would go after the fries (male releases them at 1 inch) or not and I ended up with the impression that they do not. But if chefkeith's observation is correct, then those 1cm fries will be a nice snack for them for sure!

Anyone?

Maybe in a community tank with fewer clown loaches the clowns would be less aggressive. I don’t know because I just have a species tank that is really just for loaches. Thereby my clowns go into a hunting mode when they sense food, then go into a small feeding frenzy when they taste food. I guess when clowns are in larger numbers they feel they have to compete for food, and get somewhat aggressive.

In a year or 2, I plan on getting a few big fish tanks so I can keep 100+ clown loaches. I believe and would like to prove that in a large group, clown loaches will use their razor like spines to hunt down prey. In large numbers, I think clown loaches might be very dangerous fish to be around.

I’m probably wrong about clowns being dangerous in large numbers, but the possibility is there IMO because of their razor like spines.

chefkeith said:
Maybe in a community tank with fewer clown loaches the clowns would be less aggressive. I don’t know because I just have a species tank that is really just for loaches. Thereby my clowns go into a hunting mode when they sense food, then go into a small feeding frenzy when they taste food. I guess when clowns are in larger numbers they feel they have to compete for food, and get somewhat aggressive.

In a year or 2, I plan on getting a few big fish tanks so I can keep 100+ clown loaches. I believe and would like to prove that in a large group, clown loaches will use their razor like spines to hunt down prey. In large numbers, I think clown loaches might be very dangerous fish to be around.

I’m probably wrong about clowns being dangerous in large numbers, but the possibility is there IMO because of their razor like spines.
That is going to be a pretty expensive experiment... :lol:

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back