Clown loaches

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Also I know that clown loaches are slow growers! So maybe in a year or 2 you will need to upgrade to a 570l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they will be fine
its good to see them active
i have 29 clown loaches and they to a nuts,shoaling together messing and playing dead
they are mighty entertaining to look at
as long as they are well fed they will be fine
try them on some brine shrimp with garlic aswell as flake food
but they will do best with bloodworm and some veg
i keep them in with big cichlids so there not too aggressive

rgds

You need another 70l ( that's a huge difference)
In terms of water volume yes it may be but you could also achieve this by using a sump,

In terms of actual space not so much, my betta sorority tank is 65 liters and is 60cm long by 30cm wide and 36 cm high, on a 500 liter tank that would mean about 7 or 8 inches in extra length.

Last edited:
Ill get fluttermoth on this I think it's to small

Oh yes and just because I can, Here are my Clown Loaches who happily live in a 6 foot 100 gallon tank with a bunch of Tetras.

I am doing a water change the reason the water is cloudy is because I use Easy Life Fluid Filter Media.

They are begging for food.

There beautiful, your tank looks huge (about a 150g)

Oh yes and just because I can, Here are my Clown Loaches who happily live in a 6 foot 100 gallon tank with a bunch of Tetras.

I am doing a water change the reason the water is cloudy is because I use Easy Life Fluid Filter Media.

They are begging for food.

Also clowns like long tanks so I can picture them being happy in there

Thank you,
your tank looks huge (about a 150g)
Nope 6 foot 100 gallon.

This is what the tank looks like now, Yes the clowns are in there.

zzHqueO.jpg

I am about to use a new plastic 44 gallon drum as a sump/extra water capacity thing, It wont have media or anything in it. the whole thing will work like canister filters do gravity fed from tank power head to return water to tank.

Thank you,

Nope 6 foot 100 gallon.

This is what the tank looks like now, Yes the clowns are in there.

zzHqueO.jpg

I am about to use a new plastic 44 gallon drum as a sump/extra water capacity thing, It wont have media or anything in it. the whole thing will work like canister filters do gravity fed from tank power head to return water to tank.

Cool!

I think your tank is too bright, some floating plants would help, The photo of my tank shows the actual light level in the tank. I also add Indian Almond Leaf to the tank and I make my own black water.

This thread has gone all over the place with citations from I don't know where, so it may help to bring it back on focus.

The minimum sized tank for a group of clown loaches is 6 feet (180 cm). An 8-foot is preferable, but it can work in a 6 foot. But nothing with less length. Water volume can be somewhat compensated for with more frequent and/or large volume water changes, but the length cannot. And any fish that is going (or should be expected to) reach from 200 mm (8 inches) to 305 mm (12 inches) cannot responsibly be in a tank less than 6 feet (180 cm) long before it reaches this size. As the reliable sites will mention, smaller tanks like a 4-foot and 5-foot are workable for young fish, but they must be moved into the larger space and as soon as possible. Fish grow continually, in two ways; externally (physical size) and internally (organ development). In small spaces without sufficient water volume they will not develop properly, at worst what is termed stunting, but even before this extreme stage there can be developmental failures that cannot be rectified later.

As for numbers, five is the preferred minimum, but four can work. It is not what we would recommend initially, by which I mean anyone who decides they want this species is expected to obtain five minimum, six or more if space will allow. And here we mean mature space; thinking you can get seven clown loaches now and put them in your 3 or 4 foot tank and then get a larger tank some day, is irresponsible. The larger tank may never materialize for any number of reasons. And as the fish's development is on-going all their lives, this practice is simply cruel to the fish. This applies to any fish; without adequate tank space for the fish at maturity, do not acquire the species. This simple concept can save a lot of fish.

I said four can work; if they have been together for some time, it is better to leave things rather than attempting to introduce new fish. Loaches are highly social fish. But they also establish a definite hierarchy within a group, and this will occur very early when a specific number are placed together in a new environment. This is unlikely to occur in the store tank, as the fish are very young, and way too many in the tank. But once you bring home four, five or six, within weeks they will establish their pecking order. Newcomers are likely to be driven off...except that is usually not possible in even the largest home aquarium, so worse results.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back