Clown Loaches

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zebbydog1

Reaction score
I was browsing various fish forums on the net,and came across an article on Clown botias that said these fish would make good companions for some of the more peaceful Mbuna.Anyone tried this? as it did suprise me a bit.Opinions please. :good:

I'm sure most peole would say they are not compatable as the malwai are aggressive. However I have had a clown loach in with my Malwai for nearly two years and all are doing fine. Mine was left from an friend so had no wear else to put him. He is still full of colour and active at fedding times. No worriesform me! :hyper:

I have a mate that is totaly up on keeping malawis, and he told me yesterday that he too was adding a couple of larger clown loaches. I would add all sorts with mine but sadly I try to be a purist! go for it, if it dont work its an excuse to get another tank.

I have a mate that is totaly up on keeping malawis, and he told me yesterday that he too was adding a couple of larger clown loaches. I would add all sorts with mine but sadly I try to be a purist! go for it, if it dont work its an excuse to get another tank.
The trouble is Clown Loaches aint cheap these days and as it is recommended to put no less than 3 together it could be an expensive mistake.Not to mention being cruel to the fish if it doesnt work :(

It will work! introduce them near an escape route, ie rocks. my cichlids only attack other fish when they are introduced at the surface, after that, there fine. my lfs sell them for a couple of quid each. I have a couple of marbled birchir in with my mbuna, for the first few days I was panicking as one was only small and a few of my larger cichlids saw it as a snack. now its fine and goes about its own buisiness, which is laying there, waching the larger cichlids and thinking*just you wait, one day ill have ya*LOL, my birchirs were £20 each and there only the size of a baby kuhli loach.

Aggression is not the problem, CL's can take care of themselves. There are 2 issues:

1. is CL's do better in soft water with a low Ph, the complete opposite to Malawi tanks.

2. Diet - CL's need protein their diet, which a great many Malawi's don't (especially Mbuna) and is actually bad for them.

Of course, it can and has been done successfully. If you make sure you get tank bred fish, the Ph shouldn't be much of an issue and should be OK for both at around 7. Diet is more difficult but again, can be accomodated with careful feeding.

There are many better options for bottom feeders such as Synodontis catfish or pim pictus, which work well with Malawi's.

Aggression is not the problem, CL's can take care of themselves. There are 2 issues:

1. is CL's do better in soft water with a low Ph, the complete opposite to Malawi tanks.

2. Diet - CL's need protein their diet, which a great many Malawi's don't (especially Mbuna) and is actually bad for them.

Of course, it can and has been done successfully. If you make sure you get tank bred fish, the Ph shouldn't be much of an issue and should be OK for both at around 7. Diet is more difficult but again, can be accomodated with careful feeding.

There are many better options for bottom feeders such as Synodontis catfish or pim pictus, which work well with Malawi's.
Tank bred Hmm,From what I have read,it is very rare that they have been in captivity,if at all.It wasnt so much a bottom feeder i was after,more of a colour thing

clown loaches ideally need a lower pH to grow well and thrive i think.

and they can be bred in captivity but it takes adults that are over the 10inch mark.

so how big is the tank btw you ideally need to keep at least 5 clowns i think for them to truely show themselves i've found but can your tank handle 5 fully grown clowns?

:good:

Most reactions

Back