clown loaches yes or no

Sarkis

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Quick question will 6 clown loaches be ok for a 46 gallon tank. Read one place. said it was fine the other said to small a tank which is true?

Clown loaches grow to a large adult size. I have 3 in my 55, and that will be too small for them when they are full-grown. Fortunately, clowns don't grow very quickly, so I have time before I purchase a bigger (yippee!) tank.

The question is: Are you planning on buying a tank big enough to house 6 full grown (12 inches) clown loaches?

Loaches do vary alot in their mature sizes depending on species. As you have some time you're probably okay for now, though I'd go for 3 not 6 but that's just me. Have you got sand for them to tunnel in? The loaches my daughter's bf had sure liked to dig up everything in the tank, gravel, plants, tunnels. Nothing planted was safe with them around. He had clowns and dojo loaches in there. Rascals!

6 loaches would be way much for a 46 gallon. Clown loaches grow to be huge. I would recomend maybe 2-3, no more.

As already mentioned, clown loaches grow to be pretty large over time and six full-sized clowns would be too many for your tank.

However, to really appreciate clown loaches the more you have the more social and funny they tend to be. So what I would suggest is that you talk to your LFS where you are buying the clown loaches and ask them if they would be willing to trade you small ones for larger ones when yours become too big.

If so, problem solved....buy 6 and trade them for smaller ones when they grow too big.

fishaholic said:
6 loaches would be way much for a 46 gallon. Clown loaches grow to be huge. I would recomend maybe 2-3, no more.
ok thanks for the info....
I am just stuck on what fish to get. Tank looks empty. Is there any fish i could put in that tank that wont get to big or cause problems with the other fish??? My tank info and inmates are in my signature below. Help would be great

Sarkis said:
fishaholic said:
ok thanks for the info....
I am just stuck on what fish to get. Tank looks empty. Is there any fish i could put in that tank that wont get to big or cause problems with the other fish??? My tank info and inmates are in my signature below. Help would be great
ttt

I'm still a fish newbie but I have 5 cardinal tetras which arn't very big and I think they would do well in your tank. Very colorful. I'm not sure, but I did a search and it says tiger barbs like live food but I don't think they would harm the tetras.

Hi Sarkis :)

Instead of the clown loaches, why not think about getting a school of cory cats? They are much smaller, but many are quite active and amusing. :thumbs: They are my favorite fish of all. :wub:

Here's a link with pictures of many of them. While they are not all usually available at the lfs, many fine ones are.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

Most reactions

Back