Cloudy Water

Ruthc1985

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, a quick query for you all....

So, a week or so ago I bought a bigger tank and transferred everything over to it (water, filter, fish and gravel). I experienced a mini-cycle after with a bit of ammonia and nitrite, but this quickly came under control. Today I did a water change and since the change I have had kind of cloudy water (not noticed it so much until now).

I have read the advice article on here about bacterial blooms, as my searches of the forum suggested this might be the issue and I do everything suggested in it, (removing all waste food and dead plant matter). I have also noticed a kind of white slime appearing on the suckers which hold my heater in place.

I am completely confused and don't know what to do!

Was this a factory new tank? I have seen past posts from users saying that new tanks can cloud up the water in the first few weeks. My new tank did this when I first cycled it. I did a water change to clear it up.

Yes it was factory new, and it's good to read that too! It was after the water change I noticed the cloudiness, although the slime I spotted lt week and removed, and removed another layer of it tonight. Strange thing is, the slime is only found on the rubber suckers that hold the heater in place, and nowhere else!

Just to clarify - only the tank was new, gravel, plants, ornaments and fish were Pre-existing. Used filter sponge from old tank in the new filter

I think the new tank could have caused the cloudiness. I always get white algae on my suction cups.

I'm having the same problem with my new tank too. White algae around the suction cups, cloudiness, it's going through a fishless cycle at the moment (with media from my old tank) it has some plants in it (and maybe a few snails as I found one 2 days ago) It was a tank bought from Pets At Home and obviously made and packed in a factory.

MsKhaeli, was it a fishbox tank from pets at home? mine was a fish box, but from maidenhead aquatics (but can also be purchased from p@h). Several weeks on I am still getting the slime....I wonder if its something coming out of the rubber suction cups rather than an algae.....ie some kind of reaction taking place between the tank water and the rubber?

bloom is happening to me too! though my fish box is 2nd hand :( can a particular brand of tank be prone to such things? had media from my "old" filter in "new" filter for about a week, plants for 2 days but the waters just sooo cloudy, ive drained it right down so hopefully it'll sort itself out soon...

Most reactions

Back