Cloudy Water

Durbkat

Untrainable
Reaction score
Yesterday I changed my blue gravel that had turned brown and removed the UGF. Then I added the new gravel also but didn't have enough so went to the lps today and got some more and 2 more plastic plants but after I added the gravel (rinsed well) and the 2 plants (rinsed) the water has turned cloudy. What could cause it and would it go away once I added the filter and the fish?

Yesterday I changed my blue gravel that had turned brown and removed the UGF. Then I added the new gravel also but didn't have enough so went to the lps today and got some more and 2 more plastic plants but after I added the gravel (rinsed well) and the 2 plants (rinsed) the water has turned cloudy. What could cause it and would it go away once I added the filter and the fish?
Brown cloudy?

Sounds like the dust from the gravel is still floating around. If it was a bacterial bloom I would have expected that in a few more days.

Well, its a bacterial cloudyness, i know that for sure. Dont panic, it WILL go away all by itself. Id expect it to go within 1-5 days though more than likely sooner rather than later id imagine.
Anyways, like i said you know that this kind of bloom cannot harm your fish, its just a bit annoying to look at. Id leave it for around 5 days and if it still hasnt cleared you could try daily (10%) water changes.
I think you will not need to do this, although this will clear it up for sure... :thumbs:

I doubt it would be a bacterial bloom since there is no bacteria in it yet.

I doubt it would be a bacterial bloom since there is no bacteria in it yet.
Thought u had another filter as well as the undergravel one? Anyways did you add "all new" water to your tank? If you have it could also be that your water is just mineral rich as its all new, again nothing to worry about, though id expect this to clear within ONE day. Let us know how you get on...

I do I have an external filter. Yes I did a 100% emptying of the water and scrubed all the walls and decor real good with a aquarium sponge and my hands.

I do I have an external filter. Yes I did a 100% emptying of the water and scrubed all the walls and decor real good with a aquarium sponge and my hands.
Well if it was operational it is a possiblity that it could be a bateria bloom. Though now that i know you have done a 100% water change IMHO i think that your water is just mineral rich. Like i said, i would expect this to clear withinin a day, ok Durkbat? :thumbs:

Well the water has cleared up and the fish are fine. It looks alot better alot less brown. :p

Most reactions

Back