Cloudy Water After Changing Pebbles To Sand ?

fisshboy

Reaction score
I have just changed from pebbles to sand i rinsed the sand until it ran clear and then used the bottle method to make sure it was as clean as it could be, its been nearly a day now and my tank is still a little murky is this normal and will it clear ?

iv attached a pic of before and after for comparison

thanks fisshboy
View attachment 68558

oh yeah it should all settle. its not that bad. i had mine looking like èfin milk man! haha but yeah do water changes which should help. and some filter floss and you will be alll good!

mine was slightly cloudy after i went from gravel to sand, could be just free floating sand and will clear up after a few WCs or after a short time it will settle and leave the water clear, also it could just be a bacterial bloom, either way keep an eye out for a mini cycle..
smile.png
looks good though!!
good.gif

I did a 50% water change straight after to get rid of the debris left from the pebbles, all my fish seem eratic as if trying to escape! I left them in there while i did it they didnt seem too botherd about it while i was doing it i did half at a time and they stayed at the other half untill i took my hands out then went to explore the new stuff but now they seem to want out is this normal?

yeah its pretty normal i think. they may just be stressed from switching the sub. but do keep an eye out on them, i cant see opportunity for bad happenings just switching the sub.

Been 3 days now done a 50% water change everyday and filter booster but every morning its cloudy again.

here it is after a 50% change water slowly added over an hour so no sand was disturbed, anything but clear

toss some filter floss into your filters. thats should pick up all the small debris.

Thanks for the tips i tried filter floss with no results kept changing it everyday and doing a 50% waterchange everyday for over a week and it would clear up for a few hours then get cloudy again.

I knew it could bena bacterial bloom but didnt think it was after leaving the light of for a few days nothing cleared up but then i was in my lfs and purchased a small 200L 9w uv sterilizer made by fish r fun, it looked cheap and was cheap at 15quid but i though id give it a go.

After plugging it im i realised the actual flow was little more than a tricle but i presumed this would be good as the water would spend more time passing close to the UV light, anyway by this time my water looked like it was mostly milk so i set it up saturday night nd left it running and checked sunday morning but it wasnt noticably cleared but i left it running sunday allday and night then woke upmthis morning to a crystl clear tank! I couldnt recommend the steriliser more, for what they cost they work amazingly well if anyone else has this problem id highly recommend them.

Nice man! im glad to hear u got it cleared up. careful with uv's i think they can kill off good bacteria and make the water "to clean" that may lower your fish's immune system. i hear you should only turn it on periodicly, ask around for more details. i personally have never used one but i was looking into it.

Yeah uv heard that about UV iv took it now now i litrally just used it to clear the water, ill put it back in for a day or so every once in a while to stop it happening again thanks

Most reactions

Back