Cloudy Tank

BeckyFish527

Reaction score
Hey I just recently siphoned my 20 gallon tank to clean out my goldfish's poop that was everywhere. I added more water and the correct amount of conditioner and bacteria supplement. A day or so later the tank is incredibly cloudy. I've had this happen before after water changes but this one's lasting a long time. I bought water clarifier and used it twice as stated on the bottle. To this day it's still really cloudy and I can hardly see my black moors. HELP!

Hey I just recently siphoned my 20 gallon tank to clean out my goldfish's poop that was everywhere. I added more water and the correct amount of conditioner and bacteria supplement. A day or so later the tank is incredibly cloudy. I've had this happen before after water changes but this one's lasting a long time. I bought water clarifier and used it twice as stated on the bottle. To this day it's still really cloudy and I can hardly see my black moors. HELP!

From what I have been through it is one of two things. One too much bacteria which I really don't think that is it. When you mix up water to put in your tank let it sit outside your tank. It could be how your conditioner is. My friend had that problem. So the day before you do your water change get the water ready so when you do the water change it will be ready. :good: Let me know if it works.

don't feed the fish on the day you do a water change.

Don't clean the filters in tap water or clean them at the same time you do the water change. Leave it for a few days and then clean it in a bucket of tank water.

Thanks again. And another question. I noticed on one of my black moors that the area underneath his chin is turning white. It should be black. What's that a sign of?

Sometimes goldfish change colour. Orange ones go black or bronze, Bronze ones go orange or white, and occassionally black moors lose some of the black and end up faded or white.
It could also be a bit of excess mucous brought about by pour water quality or stress. Fish have a mucous coating and under normal conditions it is thin and not noticable. When they are stressed they produce more mucous and this can appear as a white or milky coloured film over their eyes and body.

If the water quality is good then keep an eye on the area. If it gets worse then it could be fungus (will go fluffy and white). You can add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt or swimming pool salt to the tank and it usually helps clear this up.

Most reactions

Back