Cloudy Tank Water Any Ideas?

kazc31

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Basically iv setup a new aquarium for the first time since having children! I have a good knowledge of fish as had kept them for many years, however it's been a while! Basically I am ever the perfectionist and had set my tank up lovely, looked perfect then had realized I'd made a basic mistake and had forgotten to rinse out the gravel! So wanting every thing perfect for some new fishes I removed everything changed the water and rinsed the gravel out yesterday. Today the water is white and cloudy! But unfortunately for me having a half hexagonal tank makes it a little tricky getting it to look right from all Angeles, so let's just say iv had my hands in an out of the tank probably a 100 times trying to get it to look right! Now as daft a question u might thunk it is, is there any way I may have polluted the water! I wash my hands with washing up liquid or give em a good blast under the tap before placing them in, but my main concern is that the water has turned a little white n cloudy! Any thoughts, ideas or would I should do would be great Thanks!!

cloudy water is somewhat normal at first for a newly setup tank, you need to let your tank/filters cycle....this could take 4-6 weeks, after the cycling period your water will clear up, then you can start adding fish

Lovely thank you! Have never experienced it before so was concerned really for what it could be or whether it was due to something that could be harmful in the water!! If not that's great! I can honestly say I don't fancy starting over!!!

Sounds like bacteria bloom I had the same thing when I started my tank it just takes time to mature and settle!
I like to boil my gravel if untrusted or sat in a garage for 15years, but most LFS are packaged into clean plastic bags and they just say rise under cold water and if any bacteria is on the gravel it helps speed up the cycle processing.

Never boil rock as it could explode.

I hope you're planning to do a fishless cycle. The process is described in the Beginner's Resource Center (just click on the link in my sig).

Good luck, and 
welcomeani.gif

Yes no fishes are going in for atleast a month! As I'm aware it takes a while to establish, is it worth adding some fish food now and again! My knowledge was pretty good let's say, but have honestly forgotten basics of setups due to keeping fish for years I can honestly say I never had to start over often!! Many Thanks for the replies

kazc31 said:
Yes no fishes are going in for atleast a month! As I'm aware it takes a while to establish, is it worth adding some fish food now and again! My knowledge was pretty good let's say, but have honestly forgotten basics of setups due to keeping fish for years I can honestly say I never had to start over often!! Many Thanks for the replies
Ammonia is the best thing to add - have a look at the link TOS suggested, there is wealth of information there about preparing your tank for fish.

Unfortunately just leaving the tank for a month, or even adding fish food now and again, is not going to cycle your tank.

Most reactions

Back