Cloudy After New Sand

Jai

Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly i must apologise for my lack of involvement on this site, but to be honest i have had no problems to speak about in the last few months.

Today i decided to make some changes to my tank. I have moved my fish into a spare tank for the duration. I will go throught my steps,

1: Emptied 50ltrs of water from tank into spare tank (Which Filled It)

2: Moved Fish over. (All doing Fine)

3: Put the rest (50ltrs) into a storage container

4: Moved the gravel, made terraces, added sand, plants (I washed the new sand first)

5: Put the original (50ltrs) back in

The problem is that the water is very very cloudy.

How long does everyone think it will take to clear, When will i be able to put my fish back in and does anyone have any tips to clear the water faster.

I have a 95ltr tank using the Elite Jet Flo 100 filter. I have an air stone under the gravel and a large bogwood

If you kept the water due to cycling, you didnt need to. The water is not cycled, the filter is. So you could have put new water in (dechlorinated) :) But it doesnt really matter.

hmm. that's some funny staff with that water retention. you've saved a lot of nitrates by doing that, but not much else.

anywho, yesterday i was adding sand on top of some existing sand, as i felt it wasn't deep enough for plants. but it's fair to say i nearly doubled the amount of sand i have. bottom line: the water was crystal clear within 30 minutes of capping off the tank.

hence i doubt extreme cloudiness is normal. it may not be necessary harmful to the fish, but the sand sure as hell isn't what it should be. what construction site did you scoop it from? the truth is i washed mine really thoroughly maybe 10 or 15 times filling up and pouring out the bucket.

what i'm saying is that sand itself doesn't float for more than a few seconds. what you have floating around is dirt.

hmm. that's some funny staff with that water retention. you've saved a lot of nitrates by doing that, but not much else.

anywho, yesterday i was adding sand on top of some existing sand, as i felt it wasn't deep enough for plants. but it's fair to say i nearly doubled the amount of sand i have. bottom line: the water was crystal clear within 30 minutes of capping off the tank.

hence i doubt extreme cloudiness is normal. it may not be necessary harmful to the fish, but the sand sure as hell isn't what it should be. what construction site did you scoop it from? the truth is i washed mine really thoroughly maybe 10 or 15 times filling up and pouring out the bucket.

what i'm saying is that sand itself doesn't float for more than a few seconds. what you have floating around is dirt.

Sand came from local fish shop. BD (or river) sand. It's actually clearing not bad now. I probably havn't washed it enough.

Thanks all, from (Half a job bob) as the wife calls me

Most reactions

Back