Closed Tank

Katie

Reaction score
Hi I'm quite new to tropical fish and have made a few 'beginners' mistakes already. :S one being the fact that i have bought 2 albino clawed frogs. yes the lfs said they'ed be okay with my 11.1 comunity aquarium. :angry: yes i have now read that they'll get as big as my fist and eat all the mollies and platies they're in with! :byebye:
That problem is getting sorted though. :thumbs: they have a new tank being set up as we speak. the thing is, i have also read that you need a closed lid with no holes (to stop them escaping). Now this may sound like a silly question, but how do you get oxygen into a closed tank?! :*) Is it enough to just do 25% water changes once a week? or do you need to open the lid for am amount of time each day? :dunno:
The new tank has a filter but i fail to see how this will work for oxynisation if there is no new oxygen entering the tank. :unsure: PLEASE HELP! I REALLY NEED TO KNOW! :crazy:

a close tank as such is not a airtight seal.. you just have to make sure that none of the air holes in the canopy is big enough for the frog to escape.

But the tank i am to put the frogs in has a plastic top with no flaps for feeding and it appears to me to be airtight. i suppose air will get in while i'm feeding them twice a day. lol. probably answered my own question then. lol. :fun:

get ur filter set up so that the out flow is just below the water surface and an air pump and air line going to the tank you dont have to have it in the water and plants are good my tank looks air tight but it isn't and if i did seal it up there isn't mugh problems as i've got plants but the only thing is how am i going to feed it

Silly me said:
well if you turn the tank upside down will the water stay in the tank???
sorry to keep this air tight thing going but no the water wouldn't come out, it's just a plastic cover. think i've solved the problem now anyway there is a dint that you can pierce to let the filter wire through but i haven't yet cos the lid will go over the wire at the rim. it ment taking the plug off to put it through the hole then putting it back on again so i didn't bother. don't know it thats a big enough hole though. about 1cm in diamiter. (thinking about it :hyper: - that might not be for the plug, maybe it's meant just for the air to get in!!!) why didn't i think of that before!???? :*) :crazy: :/

also, if u have an air pump, or a small enough filter then thats where their oxygen will come from

You'll get poor o2 exchange with out an air pump + stone.

Just to clarify for those that still believe a airstone and air pump is required for gas exchange, YOU DO NOT NEED A STREAM OF BUBBLES FROM A AIRSTONE IN YOUR TANK TO GET OXYGEN INTO THE WATER! Any movement of the waters surface will allow oxygen to enter the water and co2 to leave it, just positioning the filter return at the waters surface or pointing a powerhead upwards will supply as much oxygen as your tank will require.

If you can fit the wires for your filter and heater into the tank then there is pleanty of space for air to get in.

CFC said:
also, if u have an air pump, or a small enough filter then thats where their oxygen will come from

Just to clarify for those that still believe a airstone and air pump is required for gas exchange, YOU DO NOT NEED A STREAM OF BUBBLES FROM A AIRSTONE IN YOUR TANK TO GET OXYGEN INTO THE WATER! Any movement of the waters surface will allow oxygen to enter the water and co2 to leave it, just positioning the filter return at the waters surface or pointing a powerhead upwards will supply as much oxygen as your tank will require.

If you can fit the wires for your filter and heater into the tank then there is pleanty of space for air to get in.
Fair enough. Does number of animals/volume of water/surface area of water have any relevance?

-=DG=- said:
CFC said:

Fair enough. Does number of animals/volume of water/surface area of water have any relevance?
Water can only hold a certain ammount of oxygen unless you over saturate it, which has consequences that can be worse that too little oxygen. If you have so many fish that you have oxygen problems then your tank is overstocked to dangerous levels. Long wide tanks are better for water oxygenation as they have a greater surface area, tall tanks should be avoided.

Most reactions

Back