Cleaning the tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tillysmum

Reaction score
Hi , I would like to give my fluVal edge 46 ltr tank a good clean , it’s looking quite murky in there . I want to change the ornaments and put in
New gravel . How do I go about it ? Do I have to take out the fish first or can I do it with them in there ? I also need to
give the glass a good scrub ! Any advice please .

Hi.
I have a similar size tank.
Not sure about the new gravel but I would do this.
I would do a water change, no bigger than 60 percent though, as it might stress out the fish...
I would use a gravel cleaner to clean the gravel and suck out some water, with the fish still inside. I wouldn't change the gravel though.
To clean the glass I would either use a special aquarium glass cleaner or a special magnet.
Remember to add TapSafe which will remove the chlorine and make it safe for fish. :)

Once you have drained the tank and just before you put the new water in wipe the walls with a sponge that is only for your tank. You could use a washing up sponge and use the green side to get rid of algae. Make sure it is just plain sponge with no embedded chemicals. I use the cheapo Aldi ones (where the green side is actually white :) ). Rinse the sponge out in the water you have removed from the tank. Also rinse the filter media in this water. Ornaments you can just change - make sure the new ones are thoroughly rinsed before going in. If you do this every week after a few weeks you may decide there is no need to change the gravel. It is recommended that you change water and clean this way every week anyway.

On the question of fish during this "cleaning," it depends just what you intend doing. If you do want to replace the substrate (gravel) because you do not like what is there, then yes, the fish must be removed to a temporary tank/container. Not doing this is even more stressful for them, plus you can kill them if anaerobic areas in the substrate are stirred up. On the other hand, if you are just cleaning things, leave the fish.

How often do you do cleaning regularly? And how do you go about it?

Hi.
I have a similar size tank.
Not sure about the new gravel but I would do this.
I would do a water change, no bigger than 60 percent though, as it might stress out the fish...
I would use a gravel cleaner to clean the gravel and suck out some water, with the fish still inside. I wouldn't change the gravel though.
To clean the glass I would either use a special aquarium glass cleaner or a special magnet.
Remember to add TapSafe which will remove the chlorine and make it safe for fish. :)
Hi
Thanks for replying . I pretty much do all of the above . . It just looks like it could do with freshening up a bit more than just the fortnightly water change .
I must admit that it was my ex boyfriend’s job to clean it so it may not of had the good clean it deserved when I first took it over so it may have got worse while I learnt about it .

Or any other dechlorinator.

A lot of owners of Edge tanks use a toothbrush to get into the corners - a new one not one that's been used :)
Thanks for the advice , I do find this tank awkward to get into due to the small square opening at the top !

Most reactions

Back