Cleaning The Filter

purplefish212

Reaction score
I read one of the articles on the different types of filters but am still somewhat confused. I have an established tank and do weekly 25-30% water changes. I have an activated carbon filter I believe is what it's called, on the back is says to change it every 3-4 weeks but I thought the whole point of having an established tank was that the filter is established with it? I guess I'm just confused, do I need to change the filter or just rinse it out with the tank water when I do water changes?

I appreciate all the help I have recieved on this forum :)

Hi mate, You are doing right just every couple of weeks give it a clean in a bucket of water from the fish tank, dont put it under tap water. Also you dont need to change the filter every month, the companys make you think u need to but they just wont all your money :rolleyes:

The only thing you would change is if you got carbon in your filter, this is a blackpowder, this needs to be changed every 3 weeks but personaly i do not use this as it has been know to leak every back in to your tank after a while, i hope this has helped you

So is it not the right (most used) kind of filter? It is the one that came with the tank when I bought it... So I don't change it?

Thanks for your reply, sorry I'm still confused :huh:

The good bacteria in your filtration system is in the canister, intake pipe and on the walls of your filter. your better off replacing the filter every 3-4 weeks because the active carbon needs to be replaced about that often and the pads get bad quick.

Geez, I'm sorry but I feel that some of the advice above is shady at best, mainly because there aren't enough facts about what you have got, or enough facts given to you regarding the filtration cycle.

Firstly what sort of filter is it? An internal filter, or an external filter?

In most filters of either type there will be THREE types of filtration going on.

MECHANICAL:
This is normally acheived by the use of sponges, sometimes a series of sponges with reducing pore sizes. The 'stuff' floating around in your tank water literally gets caught in the sponge. The water flows through, the stuff doesn't.

BIOLOGICAL:
This is normally achived by the use of some ceramic type 'noodles', usually hollow cylinders, or sometimes plastic balls or corrugated tube.
These present a large surface area, and the beneficial bacterial of the nitrogen cycle will PREFER this media to live on & in. This bacteria is responsible for breaking down the ammonia produced by fish waste into nitrItes, and a second bacteria also housed here is then responsible for converting the nitrItes into nitrAtes.
Some of the smaller internal filters will not have these ceramics, and instead rely on the bacteria living on the sponges.

CHEMICAL:
Chemical filtration is achieved by use of activated carbon. This can be granuals in a pouch, or as an impregnated / coated sponge.
The carbon on the sponge absorbs the chemicals out of the water, but as such does not have a very long useful life. People generally give activated carbon a life of a couple of days to a week at most, (note, PEOPLE who USE it, not MANUFACTURERS).
As such many people will remove the carbon from their filters and use the space it leaves to add extra filtration of the other types, biological if it will fit, or if not then mechanical.
Also as Activated Carbon removes chemicals from the water, it will also remove any medication you add to the tank, and as such HAS to be removed before you start any form of medicating.
From the above you may think that you never need carbon, but thats not strictly true either. Many people will keep some carbon on hand for those occurances when you DO need to remove chemicals from the water, such as when you have completed a course of medication, or if you need to change medications.

So cleaning out your filter...

Charcoal;
Don't really bother with it, if you DO want to keep it in there all the time you are going to be looking at changing it at least weekly, at a push fortnightly, (thats not rinsing it through, but throwing it away and putting in a new replacement).

Biological media;
Generally you don't want to be 'washing' this at all. If it gets really gungy then you can give it a quick swish in a bucket of tank water, but nothing more, you don't want to be washign away all that lovely bacteria :)

Mechanical / Sponges;
As this is where the majority of the 'stuff' will get stuck these will need properly washing out. Again only do this in bucket of tank water, as tap water will kill off any bacteria that might have decided to make this home :)
Sponges should be replaced when either the flowrate through them is noticeably reduced, or when they start to breakdown (they can only take so much washing).
IF you do not have any 'biological media' (ie. ceramic stuff), then the largest amount of your bacteria is going to be living on these sponges. If this is the case you do NOT want to wash all your sponges at the same time, (presuming you have more than one), but should alternate which sponge you wash, and which one you leave settled in the filter. If you only have one sponge in the filter you will probably want to consider cutting it in half so that again you only have to wash 50% of it at a time.

My filter hangs on the back of the fish tank, with the pump hanging down into the fish tank and pumping the water into the filter and the water flows back out into the fish tank.
So my filter says on the back of the package it came in:
Mechanical: Filter Mesh strains out suspended particles.
Chemical: Activated carbon absorbs undesirable chlorine, odors, and discoloration.
Biological: Filter frame promotes growth of aerobic bacteria that convert harmful waste product such as ammonia into harmless compounds.

So from what Schmill posted- Is the filter a combination of each of the three types or something?
I'm sorry for all the confusion on my part I just want to get it right! :blush:
Also what I believe I got from the posts is that I should change my filter once a week since it is carbon- right?

And since this seems like more trouble than its worth- can I change the filter to a different type and which do you recommend?

Sorry- Just re-read Schmills post and it said "In most filters of either type there will be THREE types of filtration going on."
So I get that, but my other questions still remain...

Hi Purplefish,

Your filter appears to have all 3 types of filtration.

Carbon isn't really necessary for day-to-day filtration, and it is this which should be changed (personally i'd just remove it. It's not needed and it is an extra expense to change it all the time).

The most important filtration by far is biological filtration. Do not change the biological filtration media or you will be putting your fish at serious risk.

The best thing for you to do is to remove the carbon filter (it will be a black sponge or black powder or pellets). Leave all other filtration in place. If you can replace the carbon filter media with another biological media, all the better.

Hope that helps. :good:

BTT

Yes, agree with BTT and Schmill: get the carbon out of there and reuse that space for some more biological media, perhaps a type you don't have (sponges, ceramic rings and ceramic pebbles all make good biological media.) With the carbon out of the picture, your biomedia should last a long time and as has been mentioned, with fish in, you will probably want to establish a habit of cleaning the filter every month, gently squeezing sponges in a bucket of tank water in the tub and gently dunking any trays/bags of ceramic media in tank water to dislodge the debris. Ceramics can last a lifetime with cleanings like this.

~~waterdrop~~

Purplefish, if you have a simple filter that uses a combination cartridge with all functions in the one cartridge, you need to rinse it out, not replace it. I have one of those ridiculous things and it effectively filters my tank but it has the same cartridge that it had 2 years ago when I got it. The carbon probably got worn out the first week but the fabric filter holds plenty of bacteria and acts as a decent mechanical filter. The only way I know to go from that to a decent filter is to run both on the same tank for a while and then remove the cartridge filter once the new one has become cycled.

Purplefish, if you have a simple filter that uses a combination cartridge with all functions in the one cartridge, you need to rinse it out, not replace it. I have one of those ridiculous things and it effectively filters my tank but it has the same cartridge that it had 2 years ago when I got it. The carbon probably got worn out the first week but the fabric filter holds plenty of bacteria and acts as a decent mechanical filter. The only way I know to go from that to a decent filter is to run both on the same tank for a while and then remove the cartridge filter once the new one has become cycled.
I had no idea there were any that tried to put all 3 functions in one cartridge. What a terrible design!! Live and learn!

~~waterdrop~~

Have a look at the whisper series of HOB filters, that is exactly what they do. The new replacement for the whisper series still combines mechanical and carbon into one piece but have added some plastic bristles to give you a bit of separate biological. My own suspicion is the biological in them will still be mostly in the cartridges although there will be a small colony in those bristles.

And our "Plug n Play" world just keeps reinforcing the wrong kind of approach. All the more reason our beginners need real information from a forum like this rather than struggling with the random things the industry can turn out.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back