Cleaning Tank

jeremy_r

Reaction score
hey is there any other vacum
that is better then the ones where u have to suck up to get it starting.
isnt there one with like a filter for big tanks ?

I dont know if you have them in Australia or not but here in the states, we have a product called a Python. Very similar to the syphon but this hooks directly up to your faucet. Flip the lever one way and its a vacuum, flip it the other and it will fill your tank. Very handy to have and much better then lugging buckets back and forth.

Also with some canister filters you can hook the regular siphon hose directly up to the filter. This way you can extensively vacuum your aquarium and never change the water level. Then when your done siphon out the water for water change. My Magnum 350 allows me to do this.

I've never used or looked into a Python vac unit, but when I first heard of them my initial thought was... how do you ensure you are re-adding the right temp water? They may have something to account for this, I'm not sure (again, I’ve never used one)

Even with my 125 gal tank water changes 'the old fashioned way' aren't that bad so I've not offered much attention to the quicker and easier tools.

-Toby

jeremy where in sydney r u from ??
im from sydney also.....
is there any1 else in this forum who is from sydney ???

I've never used or looked into a Python vac unit, but when I first heard of them my initial thought was... how do you ensure you are re-adding the right temp water? They may have something to account for this, I'm not sure (again, I’ve never used one)

This isn't a problem. A simple back-hand test (the back of the hand is most sensitive to temperature) is enough. We're only doing a partial waterchange , so even if your judgement is really lousy and you put in water 10 deg. colder, on a 25% water change this is only a 2.5 deg change, and the fish can handle that without any problems.

freddyk said:
a 2.5 deg change, and the fish can handle that without any problems.
I'm asking.. not debating...

Is this a safe statement to make 'in general'? I know most of the fish I've kept over the years have been large hardy cichlids but I'm starting to explore the wonderful world of dwarfs... I hear some of them are 'sensative to water conditions'. I'm not sure if that includes temp?

The diff in temp at that rate doesn't seem to affect my dwarfs [my sig] though maybe someone Else's , even 3of 4 deg lower or higher they're OK , as long as it doesn't happen too quickly . But what will affect them is what is sometimes in the water[ chemicals and metals ] they cause a little harm or even sudden death , so the use of water conditioner is plus if not a must . :)

In my experience

Does the python siphon hose adapter thingie have a way to add chem removing drops? I know it's said that it is much better to add drops to the tap water direct, as opposed to the tank water as you add tap water.

I often make inquiries such as this, not to prod, not to argue, not even to question really. I've been taught a lot of things that I've applied over many years. The ones that work, I remember and I still use. I prefer to understand why something works, not just know that it works. so most of my prodding inquiries are to learn the whys.

As far as I Know there isn't away to add conditioner with the Python , though much like cleaning solutions added to equipment like power[ pressure ] washers , I guess it is at least a possibility .
I add half of what I'm replacing just before I begin the refill and gradually add the rest . :)

The questions are fine , I understand your reasoning as well , I've been at this while , and I always come across things I've yet to try.

This at times leads to little experiments :D

Yea I know... I'm still in the middle of building a 550 Gal experiment that has me so broke I’m eating Roman Noodles!!! LOL!!!

nc, the why's are important. This is why it's ok to add conditioner to the tank and fill from the python -

The poisoning from chlorine is a a gradual proces of exposure. Chlorine messes with the cellular structure of the gills, causing a breakdown and eventually the fish will die of suffication. Water conditioners act instantaneously, immediately upon contact with the chlorine and metals in the water, so the chlorine, even if it gets into your tank, is dealt with before it can cause a problem. In addition, you can add the conditioner right before filling the tank, so it's already in the water when the tap water is coming into the tank.

Is this a safe statement to make 'in general'?
In my fifteen years of fishkeeping, yes. Temperature fluctuations are normal in the wild, and they can handle them in the aquarium. Problems occur when the fluctuation is too great, or the fluctuation is instant (like taking a fish from a bag from the store and immediately plunking the fish into the tank).

nc_nutcase said:
Does the python siphon hose adapter thingie have a way to add chem removing drops? I know it's said that it is much better to add drops to the tap water direct, as opposed to the tank water as you add tap water.

I often make inquiries such as this, not to prod, not to argue, not even to question really. I've been taught a lot of things that I've applied over many years. The ones that work, I remember and I still use. I prefer to understand why something works, not just know that it works. so most of my prodding inquiries are to learn the whys.
Were you concerned with the more concentrated condtioned water as a result of adding conditioner prior to refilling ? :huh: not sure of what I said there :lol: .

It's never seemed to have an effect on my fish , adding prior to filling that is , I can't say it's totally harmless either , maybe someone esle can say for sure , I can't just :dunno: , I only know it works out good for me :) .

Most reactions

Back