Cleaning Sand Well - Without A Hose

dredgy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

For the last two days I've been cleaning my river sand. That's right, days.

I have 40kg of it and since I live in an apartment and lack a hose, filling a bucket with sand and then using the shower or a tap doesn't really work.

I can use a tupperware container and do a few handfuls at a time, but that would take me a fair few days (I work a bit). All the sand I've managed to clean so far has been this way and it doesn't even cover the floor of my tank.

Is there anyway I could expedite the process? I have plenty of buckets and decent budget, but doing any decent amount of sand under a tap and swirling it does not make it any cleaner (even after a few hours).

Thank you.

Hi,

For the last two days I've been cleaning my river sand. That's right, days.

I have 40kg of it and since I live in an apartment and lack a hose, filling a bucket with sand and then using the shower or a tap doesn't really work.

I can use a tupperware container and do a few handfuls at a time, but that would take me a fair few days (I work a bit). All the sand I've managed to clean so far has been this way and it doesn't even cover the floor of my tank.

Is there anyway I could expedite the process? I have plenty of buckets and decent budget, but doing any decent amount of sand under a tap and swirling it does not make it any cleaner (even after a few hours).

Thank you.

Edited because sleepy and didn't read the question right.

Um if you clean out a empty soda bottle you can funnel the sand into the bottle turn it upside down and clean sand should pour out while the nasty crud should stay inside the water bottle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8

Saw this tutorial I've never used it since I use my syphon to clean my sand.

Thank you very much, I'll give that a shot. I might grab a syphon as well.

Cheers

I have heard of people cleaning it in the tank multiple times and draining it out, this only works if there are no fish in the tank though.

Thank you very much, I'll give that a shot. I might grab a syphon as well.

Cheers

Wicked hope it works out for you, Btw I unno if this'll work since the soda bottle is shaped differently could try with a gallon sized bottle and could try to do this with half a gallon of sand at a time. That's if this actually works. Would increase your output of sand by half a gallon each time.

Most reactions

Back